Epilogue

If I thought that everything was going to be back to the way it was after this, I definitely thought wrong.

Scott can't even look me in the eye, not after what he had found out about me. To say that he was betrayed would probably be a pretty accurate description of his feelings right about now. However Scott decides to react, I have no place to protest against it. I practically lied to him for almost a year, and I have no idea how he is going to take that. On top of that, we had to deal with a memory-deprived Ava.

When we got home, Ava almost immediately threw down her belongings as she jetted into the house. Throughout the car ride home, I had the unfortunate chance to fill in Ava of all the bad things that had happened. But all of these bad things, she was totally oblivious to it. For her sake and her happiness, I nearly didn't tell her the whole truth- but that wasn't my decision to make.

I closed the front door behind us as I then made my way upstairs, only to find Ava kneeling on the floor with one of Flora's hands in hers. "No, no, no." Ava sobbed heavily as I closed the door behind us, tears already streaming uncontrollably down my cheeks. I knelt down next to Ava, wrapping my arms around her as she then released Flora's hand- burying her face into my shoulder.

"I didn't even say goodbye." Ava spoke into my shoulder as she broke out into even more tears, balling her fists with the fabric of my shirt in between them.  I couldn't have possibly known what she was or feeling. Ava and Flora are cousins, they are actually blood related and I know that it must hurt losing somebody who you loved since birth.

My eyes then traveled over to my bed, the envelope catching my sight. "Here." I spoke, standing up from my kneeling position to retrieve the letter. "She wrote this for you." I finished, handing the letter over to Ava. Since the last time I had seen Ava in this room, it was such a long time and I can't even begin to describe what a great feeling it is to see her here. Even though we all didn't make it out alive, we're all still victorious.

Ava was silently reading the letter to herself, a few laughs and choked sobs escaping here and there. Flora was a character, one of the best persons I have ever known in my entire life. "She came up with the spell to save me?" Ava questioned, finally averting her gaze away from the letter.

"Funny thing about that." I started, smiling to myself as Ava and I sat across from each other cross-legged on my bed. "Literally moments before she had that 'eureka' moment, she told off Noshiko. I thought she was going to be pissed! Like o-"

"Off the fucking charts charts pissed." Both Ava and I simultaneously spoke, saying one of Flora's iconic lines. We both ended in laughter as then sucked in a breath. "She wasn't, though. She came home and directly went for a grimoire to find a spell to get rid of that Oni."

Our conversation around Flora had finally died down and Ava sobered up. She casted a cloaking spell over Flora's body because she didn't feel like she could have make it through the night seeing it lay there. Now that the cat was out of the bag, I told Ava about Jennifer. She was stunned at first, but she understood.

Ava always understood, and I hope that Scott can too.

"Carson.." I heard Ava sigh as I looked up at her with creased eyebrows. It was a very tired and exasperating sigh, I'm afraid to say. "I don't know how you could possibly go through this." She muttered, holding her head in her hand as her brunette hair cascaded over her arms.

I looked down at my fingers shortly, interpreting what Ava may be trying to get at. "And you don't think that you can go through it again?" I questioned, staring over at my best friend.