{EC} 4. Distress

"bask in your distress a little more,
'cause a sad face don't go away that easy."

- a.c

⚜ • ⚜ • ⚜ • ⚜

Before we had went anywhere else, we stopped to the animal clinic. Uncle Alan was the first person I called after we had gotten Derek into the jeep. The whole idea of him being younger is insanely bizarre, but not as bizarre as him recognizing me. Out of all of the names that he could have called or of all the faces he could have recognized, it was mine that he did. And I literally had no idea why.

The drive back to Beacon Hills was torture because I literally had to endure in conversations to mask my true feelings. It was still storming as we finally arrived to the animal clinic and Uncle Alan already had the door open for us as Stiles pulled up to the back door.

Scott and Stiles immediately jumped out of the jeep, getting a hold onto Derek as Lydia and I then climbed out from the backseat. I then replaced Uncle Alan's position as I held the door open for them, trying to see through the droplets of rain that were racing down my face. Once they got Derek through the door, I hurriedly ran inside behind them, locking the door behind us.

I walked into the back room to find that they had already set Derek down onto the metal table. I took my jacket off, trying to limit the amount of things on me that were now drenched.

"Wow." I heard Uncle Alan spoke as he stared down at Derek. I frowned, chewing onto my lip as I paced around in the room.

"Wow?" Stiles questioned. "Wow, as in, 'I've seen this before and I know exactly what to do,' kind of wow? 'Cause that's the kind of wow we were hoping for." He pressed. I let a huff out as I ceased my pacing, not trying to make anyone else tense. I pressed my hands onto the foot of the table as I then stared over to Derek who was sleeping soundly.

"I think you might be overestimating my abilities." Uncle Alan answered, looking over to Stiles.

I didn't even know what to do with the abilities that I have! I have no idea which spell, which enchantment, hell- I don't even know what to call this whole predicament! I slowly walked over to the side of the table, taking Derek's had into mine as I frowned deeply. My eyebrows then furrowed as I patted my hand over his skin.

"He's cold. Really cold." I noted, looking up to Uncle Alan frantically, who then went to feel for himself.

"Do you think this is permanent?" Scott fretted, his eyes looking over to Uncle Alan.

Uncle Alan then pulled out a miniature flashlight, testing Derek's eyes for responsiveness. "I'm not sure a medical diagnosis is even adequate. This is well beyond my experience." He concluded as I looked up at him with desperate eyes.

"So what do we do with him?" Stiles queried, then looking back down at my brother.

"Until he wakes up?" Uncle Alan rhetorically queried. "Probably not much. It might be best to leave him with me. He'll be safe here."

"You mean from Kate?" Stiles tried to clarify.

"If she's alive and she is what you say she is, she won't be able to walk past that gate." Uncle Alan insisted as I shook my head sadly.

"But why? Why would she want to do this to him?" My voice cracked as I sadly questioned, caressing my brother's face. I am literally petrified at what this might mean to him. I mean, what if this is permanent? What if I won't have a big brother who treats me like his own daughter but like a pesky little bug at the same time anymore?