40. Ren - 8 Months Ago

"So your big romantic date is tonight huh?" Rikuta smiles at me. "Not to mention the start of our spring break."

"Yah." I whisper. It's Friday and we now get two weeks vacation from school.

"Ren whats wrong?" I look to my friend as he smiles softly at me.

"I, Rikuta, I am kind of worried."

"About?"

He watches me walk across his room, and I collapse onto his bed. "I'm not entirely sure, just the way he has been acting lately. I am worried that he..." I sit up and grip my sandy blonde hair.

"That he, may what?" Rikuta walks over and rubs my back. I raise my gaze to his green eyes. I feel tears forming in my eyes. "Ren?"

"Ever since he gave me this damned ring, he has been acting completely different!" I stare at my left hand. The chrome engagement ring catches all my attention.

"You think he is regretting asking you?" Rikuta whispers.

I lay my head against his shoulder. "What else explains how he has been acting? We were fine before he proposed to me!" I look back to the ring. "Three months until he can come out to his parents. Then they can't hold law school over his head, to make him break up with me."

"Look Ren, I think maybe you're overthinking this. We all can tell Shin loves you." I feel Rikuta raise my face up with his hands. "Come on man." He smiles at me as he wipes away my tears that threaten to fall. "Don't give up on Shin yet."

"You're right." I smile. "I am just so worried he may break up with me. Why a Romantic date? Why now? If anyone we know sees us, his parents will find out, and law school will be pulled from his grasp."

"Is law school what he truly wants to do?"

"It is, he has told me multiple times. He wants to be a lawyer, he wants to be able to help innocent people who get blamed for shit they never did, to clear their names."

"Ok Ren you need to pull yourself together. Shin is not going to break up with you."

"I hope you're right."

"Trust me, and if he does, I will kick his ass for you." I smile at that.

"Yah you would, won't you." I chuckle.

"But hey if you two do break up, then I get to kiss you again." He winks at me.

"Rikuta!" I shove him away from me, "that is so not funny."

"I know, sorry."

"Go get a girlfriend."

"One day, when I meet that right girl I will." He winks at me. "You should head home. Shower and get dressed for your big date."

"Ok, thanks for listening to me."

"I'm always here for you Ren, you can always come to me for anything."

"Thanks. I will remember that for the future." I grin at him winking. "Anything huh?" I look to him as I open his bedroom door.

"Yah Ren. You need anything, no matter what it is, I'm here for you."

"You're the best Rikuta." I grin. "Bye!"

"Call me after, and let me know what happened!"

"Yah, I will!" I smile and leave his bedroom.

I make it to my neighborhood. My eyes glance to Shin's house. I still feel nervous that something bad will happen tonight, but I push those thoughts from my mind as I enter my house. I walk up to my bedroom and start to grab some clothes for tonight. I smile as I grab that green shirt Shin bought me. I blush as I lay it on my bed, and walk out of my room to shower.

...

Showered and dressed I sit on my bed, as thoughts run through my mind. Shin said he was going to pick me up. Normally we meet in the park, so his parents don't see us.

"Shin, what are you doing?" I whisper.

I jump up from my seat as the doorbell echoes. I grab a light jacket and throw it on and rush down the stairs. I see Shin talking to my parents.

"Hey Ren." He smiles at me. "Ready for our date?"

"Yah." I whisper.

"Have fun you two!" My mom smiles, as my father nods his head in agreement.

Shin holds his hand out to me, and I hesitantly take it. "Let go." He pulls me from my house holding my hand tightly, and starts to walk down our driveway.

"SHINJI HIGASHI, WE SAID NO!" I turn to see Shin's parents outside their house. They look pissed, this only makes Shin tighten his grip on my hand.

"And I said, GO TO HELL!" He yells back, as he pulls me down the street.

"Shin?" I whisper as we are now walking down the road.

"Sorry." I glance up at him. His face looks troubled.

"How did they?"

"I told them." My green eyes grow wide. "Come on Ren, I don't want us late for our reservations."

"No!" I pull my hand from his and stop walking. "You need to tell me now!" I stare at him with wide eyes. "Three months Shin, you just had to wait three months! What about law school!"

"Ren. I will tell you everything I promise, let's just go to dinner." His green encircled, light brown eyes gaze at me, pleading with me. "Please..."

"Just tell me one thing now. I need to know before I go anywhere with you." I whisper.

He sighs and runs his hands through his short brown hair. "Fine, what?"

"Are you going to break up with me tonight?"

"SERIOUS!" Shin stares at me. "NEVER!" He hugs me tightly. "Why would you even think that?" his voice was soft as he gasped out.

"You just been acting odd the past couple of days." I whisper into his chest as I hug him in return.

"Sorry. I never intended for you to see I was having some issues at home. Least of all, for you to think I was going to break up with you." He cups my face in his hands. "Ren you're my fiance, and I intend to marry you after graduation, maybe even sooner." He smiles as he leans in and kisses me softly.

"Shinji?" I stare at him in shock.

"Sorry. I am just so in love with you. I can't wait for you to be my husband." He grins. "Can I take you to dinner now? I promise to tell you everything when we are there."

"Ok, Sorry." I smile shyly.

He reaches out, and wraps his arm around my waist. "I no longer have to care if people see us together." He smiles. I feel my face blush. "After tonight, this whole small town will know Ren Ozawa is mine."

"Shin." I blush even redder.

"Tonight Ren, tonight I am actually taking you on a real date. I don't care who sees us." I get pulled into his embrace as he wraps his arms around me.

My heart races, we are standing in the middle of town. There are people all around us. Shin softly caresses my cheek in his hand.

"Ren Ozawa, I love you." He whispers before capturing my lips with his in a kiss displayed to all around us.

...