The Perfect Almost

Camila's Pov

The sound of the spoon hitting against the bowl wake me up from my not so deep sleep. I open one eye, only to see Lauren eating some soup with a bread in a dim light kitchen area. I stay still and didn't make any movements to avoid distracting the older girl. My eyes gaze from her head down to her toe as if my eyes are memorizing every inch and every curves of her body. I see her everyday but today, there is something special about her. Something I haven't seen before. The glow on her face, the twinkle in her eyes, the glitter on her cheek, the secret in her smile, and as I lay here, taking my time to admire her within this distance, I can't take my eyes off of her. Her perfection has stunned my thoughts. Lately, I've been noticing some changes in me. Not physically though but it is more on my emotional state. I find it so strange and weird and at the same time funny how looking at her makes my heart feels like thunder and how her sparkling glances makes my breath shorten. And everytime we meet, I feel as if we are meeting for the first time with butterflies swarm in my stomach. And oh! Her smile? It somehow makes my world stops. There's so much around me to look at, but lately, all I can see is her. The way she smiles, the way she laughs, the face that she would make when she watches something emotional or everytime she find something cringe. She has her own special way of turning around my terrible day. She makes all the bad things go away, the second the says her cute nickname to me-Camz.

And when I look into her eyes, those eyes who's green like pine, I see pure beauty with no disguise. And If beauty were inches, she'd go on for miles. My mother and my Grandma warned me about the drugs in the streets but never the ones with green eyes and a heartbeat. And I know for the fact that these feelings, what I've felt, aren't lies.

I watch Lauren sat there in silence with her eyes wandering around our small dorm. Though it's a little bit dark, I can still see to her face that she's serious and I wonder what's running through her mind. And just like that, I suddenly felt a hint of being scared. Is Lauren regretting that she moved here with me? But those thoughts and emotion suddenly vanished when my brown orbs met green. Lauren quickly flash her genuine smile, causing my heart to leap out in my chest.

I watch her walk through the corner wall near the bathroom to turn off the light. Soon, our dorm surrounded with darkness and all I can hear is the sound of her footsteps approaching her domain. I breathed out to condition myself for a second before I close my eyes again and try to fall back to sleep. The silence that surround us lasted for a couple long minutes before her raspy voice echoed around, bringing chills to my body.

"Camz?"

"Yeah?"

"Can I sleep beside you? I'm shivering cold."

Yes, the weather around here in Brooklyn is pretty much cold but being wrapped in this warm blanket manages to keep me warm, so is Lauren. So I know by the fact that she's just making excuses so she can sleep here next to me. But even so, I still say yes.

Lauren quickly jump off from her bed to mine, scooting her body more closer to me. We're both laying there with our eyes both fixed at the ceiling. Somehow, I'm loving the feeling of our body being wrapped in one blanket and sharing each other's body heat to keep each other warm. Both of us are sharing this comfortable silence, probably the most happiest silence I get to experience than the one I shared with Hailee back then.

"Fatso?"

"Camz?"

"Can I borrow your arm? My pillow is a little bit bulky." Excuses, ofcourse. Lauren then quickly gave her right arm to me. I turn around to her direction and use her arm as my pillow. I close my eyes and try to sleep but the smile that wants to escape from my lips hinder me from drifting off.