43

About an hour later me, Harrison, JJ and Mike were ready to go to Bronte. Our day at the beach was great, Thalia, Jules and Jackson also joined us. Harrison and Jules tried to teach JJ, Mike and I some surfing. Turns out, I'm not so bad at surfing! JJ however, is not good at it at all.

Anyways long story short, the day was great, we swam, we laughed, we ate lots and lots of food but most importantly we had fun.

Throughout the day even through all that fun and laughter I couldn't help but feel like someone was watching me. Someone was following me.

I kept looking around but I couldn't see anything out of ordinary. Everything was...well... normal, people sunbathing, swimming, lifeguards doing a rescue here and there. Some people surfing... you know the usual. So I decided that it was just me being paranoid, I decided to ignore this stupid feeling.

Towards the afternoon the weather started to get cooler and soon it started to rain so we packed up and went inside the tower at Bronte.

The wind picked up and waves strayed to become larger and larger, fun for surfers but a huge cause of worry for us lifeguards.

The nice sunny day started to become cold and eerie.

I stood by the door of the tower and stared at a group of surfers who were a little too far away, waiting for something to go wrong.

It didn't.

A few more minutes passed and the surfers started to get back on land, where it was safe.

The boys at the tower were talking, I could hear Jules's loud laughter but in between the noises coming from the tower I heard a scream.

A cry for help.

I made a mistake! I was too focused on the surfers that I didn't see the girl who was swimming close by.

She was very far away. An older woman was running towards the tower crying for help. I didn't waste any time.

"Help." I called to no one in particular and ran towards her.

She quickly pointed out where she saw her daughter last, I nodded and ran in that direction picking up a board on my way.

I threw the board over the crashing waves, jumped on it and started to paddle out as fast as I could.

All this time I kept my eyes on her head, going up and down in the dangerous currents.

I looked behind me and saw Harrison and a bunch of other boys right at the edge of water.

Harrison too threw the board on the water and started to paddle out after me.

I was close. So close. I could still see her head.

A wave came between us pulling me further away from her. I looked up again to see where she was but I couldn't see her. I pulled my body up again, still couldn't see her.

Harrison came beside me, "can you see her?" he asked.

"No." I said quickly as I stood up on my board.

"Oaky... where are you??" I whispered to myself looking for her through the moving waters.

Lucky I saw a shadow of her hand so I paddled towards her.

As I reached in the water to catch her hand another set of waves crashed on top of us and tipped over my board pushing me under water.

I closed my eyes as my body came into contact with water.

My breath was caught in my throat and I felt like someone was choking me. For a split second the memory of that day came to my mind. My body felt heavy. But I fought myself.