49

Memories are strange things, they come like a flash of light and they are gone as fast as they came. Any little thing can remind you of something or someone, it can be as little as a smell, some sort of action, or a feeling even. Often they bring a smile on your lips but when the memory is of someone you've lost it is hard to smile when you think of them. Especially if their passing is recent and they've been killed at someone else's hands. Especially when you feel you are at fault.

I followed Gina down the beach, running after her but stopped at the edge of water. The feeling of waves crashing at my feet reminded me of JJ. This was our thing, everyday after school we would go by the lake and just stay there for hours talking and making fun of our classmates. It was our own little secret. I don't know why out of all of my memories this was the one that rushed in my head but I know the little smile on my lips faded at the thought of him being gone. The thing is i always thought we would grow old together, have our families together, my kids would play with his kids calling him uncle JJ. I never saw this coming. I always thought it would be us two against the world.

I mean it's JJ he's always there for me even when I don't want him.

Harrison noticed me just standing there and staring down at my feet. He slowly walked towards me and asked, "Amy? Babe are you okay?"

I was deep in thoughts and only realized him calling for me when his wet hands touched mine.

"Hm? I... I'm fine. Sorry just a little flashback." I said letting out a little giggle.

He nodded and asked if I wanted to swim. "Urm... I just want to stand in the water. You have fun." I replied quickly, giving him a quick kiss and walked in the water. I walked far enough to have water up to my neck. With every coming wave my head slightly went down underwater. I closed my eyes and let my body relax. Slowly I was sleeping, lighting on the water, staring at the sky above.

This was also something JJ taught me. I coiled still hear his voice 'just close your eyes and let your body rise to the surface'

I was like that for a few seconds before my brain actually worked and I realized this is an ocean! Waves can take you and you'll end up on another continent! So I quickly opened my eyes and turned to find myself a little far away from the others. I quickly swam back to them and unwillingly got in the middle of their splash war.

Out of nowhere I was lifted from the water and in someone's arms. I screamed and kicked but Whippet laughed and said "Got you!!!"

With no warning I was dunked underwater. I swam up and jumped on top of him pulling him under water with me. He resurfaced quickly and started laughing his head off. I stood there laughing but again I was pulled over someone's shoulders. This time it was Harrison, laughing his head off and screaming "I will save you!!!"

He ran back on the hot sand and dropped me off a little further away from the water. I laughed and called him crazy to which he responded with an even louder laughter.

He laid beside me on the sand propping up his upper body on his arms and just looked out at the great stretch of water. I looked up at his tanned face and smiled to myself. I do have a fucked up life but at least there are some parts of it that are perfect and Harrison is one of them.

He smiled and asked, "what? Why are you smiling like that and staring at me?"

Which surprised me because he didn't turn to look at me. "What?! You have eyes behind your head now?!" I asked with a small laugh.

"Nope.." he said as he turned and looked at me. "but I can feel what you're feeling!! I know it sounds weird but it's true, whenever you're sad I can feel it in my heart. And right now you feel light... Happy even and I can feel it!" he said with a smile.