Chapter 18

February 25, 2006

"Barry, why can't you tell us where you were?" Iris asked for the millionth time.

"Look, Iris, I wish I could tell you, but I can't," Barry shut his locker and walked away.

Barry hated being in trouble. He hated being grounded. He hated that no one could understand him besides Y/N. But most of all, he hated that that thing had visited him again. He thought about it all the time. He wanted to tell Y/N, but he didn't want her to think he was crazy.

"Hey, Barry," Y/N saw him and walked over, "Are you okay?"

"I got grounded because of that night,"

"Barry, I'm so sorry this is all my fault,"

"No it's mine. Meet me after school at the soccer fields."

"Aren't you grounded?" Y/N asked.

"Yes, but I don't care anymore. I can't be by myself for 2 weeks. Not after that night," Barry walked into math class, leaving Y/N standing there by herself.

"Hey, why are you still talking to that creep?" Tony slid his arm around her waist.

"He isn't a creep. He's my friend," Y/N freed herself from his grasp.

"Oh I see, you're a creep to, huh?"

"No. You are. We're done, Tony,"

"You know what? Fine! You never meant anything to me anyway," Tony walked away.

Y/N stood there shocked. She couldn't believe what she'd just done. She didn't know what to do. She had thought that Tony was a good person, but now she could see that he wasn't. Without thinking Y/N walked into Barry's math class and walked over to his desk.

"Y/N? What are you doing here?" Barry looked up and saw a tear roll down her cheek. He stood up and walked Y/N outside.

"What's wrong?"

Y/N hugged Barry and sobbed into his shoulder.

"Hey, it's okay. I'm here. I'm always here," Barry held her tightly.

"I just broke up with Tony,"

"Oh, wow, um, I'm really sorry," Barry hoped he wasn't the cause.

They stood there in each other's arms for a few minutes before Y/N broke the silence, "You know this whole crying into each other's arms thing has been happening a lot recently."

"Yeah. I never did tell you what happened to my parents," Barry sat down on the ground and Y/N sat beside him. He didn't want to wait until after school.

"My mom-my mom was-" Barry couldn't finish the sentence.

"Hey, it's okay,"

"No, it isn't it's been 6 years and I still can't talk about it without crying,"

"Barry, time doesn't fix a broken heart,"

"My mom was-she was murdered," Barry cried harder.

"Barry, I'm so sorry. I know what that's like. How old were you?"

"It was the night before my 11th birthday."

"Barry, I'm so sorry," Y/N hugged him tighter, tears streaming down her cheeks.

"And they took him, they took-they took my dad away," Barry sobbed, "But he didn't-he didn't do it."

"Wait, when did you say your mom was murdered?" Y/N asked, releasing Barry.

"10:32 PM, March 18, 2000."

Y/N paused for a moment, "Barry, my parents were murdered at 10:34 PM, March 18, 2000."