Chapter 43

Monday, July 14, 2014

"Where's Allen?" Captain Singh asked Joe.

"I'm here!" Barry gasped as he scooted under the bright yellow caution tape.

"What's your excuse this time? Did you forget to set your alarm clock?"

"Actually yeah," Barry laughed, but stopped once he realized Singh was serious. "Sorry, I'll just, yeah." He stepped away and began examining the area.

...

Y/N set her purse down on her new desk and looked around the lab.

"It's nice, huh?" a voice spoke behind her. Y/N turned to see a tall, dark-haired, green-eyed man standing in the doorway. "Y/N?"

"Barry?" Y/N asked in disbelief. She had thought he was cute in high school, but now? He was freaking adorable.

"Yeah." He smiled as he walked further into the room. "It's really good to see you again!"

Y/N pulled him into a hug. She'd missed being able to hug him. "You too!"

"What brings you back to Central City?" Barry asked as he pulled away.

"Job offer. And to be honest, I kinda missed this place."

"So are you my new lab partner?"

"Yeah I guess I am." Y/N tried to hide the fact that she was blushing. She had never really gotten over him, but she was sure he'd found someone already.

"I wish we had more time to catch up, but if we don't get this done Singh is going to fire me," he half-joked, gesturing to the files piled onto his desk. "Do you maybe want to go to Jitters after work?"

"What's Jitters?"

"Oh that's right it's kind of new. It's, like, the best coffee shop in Central City. "

"Oh, okay sure. I do have to unpack some though so we can't be gone too long."

"Do you want any help?"

"Oh, um, I don't know."

"Well if you do, just let me know."

Y/N had missed his dorky smile. And his voice. And his eyes. She'd missed him.

"Okay, you ready to start?" he asked.

"Oh yeah I almost forgot we're supposed to be working..."