Part 3 Chapter 4a

tw: sexual content

Tony had always been there for Ophelia when she needed him most. He didn't have to be. He was just a good person who wanted to help others as much as possible

But Ophelia hadn't been there for him. And such a big thing happened.

Ophelia drove to Tony's dad's shop the next morning, as soon as it opened. Right at 7am. She got there early, actually. She was the first one there, and waited in her car until Tony pulled up.

She got out of her car immediately and went to him.

When Tony saw her, he became worried. He thought something may have happened to her, and that she needed him for protection or revenge. This worry only intensified as he saw her devastated expression.

"Ophelia?"

"Tony." That's all she said as she walked up to him and hugged him tightly.

He hugged her back. "What happened, O?" When he pulled away he asked her, "How can I help?"

She was blown away by his selflessness in such a serious situation. "Help me?"

"Of course," he told her, "What's wrong?"

Ophelia swallowed her cry, not wanting him to feel like he had to continue comforting her. "My dad...he told me what happened."

She watched Tony's face fall, and his whole demeanor change. He took a step back, and dragged his hand over his face, slowly. He looked back up at her. "About my family."

She sniffed, and nodded.

He let out a small groan. "I-I didn't want this to be a big deal for everyone."

"What?"

Ophelia couldn't believe her own ears. "It's a huge deal. Tony how come you didn't tell me?"

Tony looked uncomfortable talking about it.

"There was nothing you could've done," he told her. "So why trouble you?"

She let out an aggravated breath. "Tony, I could have tried to help you. At least I could've been there for you."

He told her, "You didn't have to be. I wouldn't ask that of you."

"I didn't ask you to help me," she said. "Back when you made me relisten to my tape. You just knew I needed someone. And you need people now. I want to help anyway I can."

"There's nothing you can do," Tony explained. "My family-they're already gone."

"But you didn't have to try to go through all this alone!" she told him. "I mean, did you try hiring lawyers?"

"Of course," he told her. "I'm capable of a lot on my own believe it or not."

"Tony, I know that!" she told him, frustrated at his attitude. Why did he need to do everything himself? "But, we could've helped pay for the lawyers at the very least."

"I'm not taking other people's money," he told her.

Ophelia shook her head. "My dad loves your family, he would've given it. Just like if it had been us."

"I never wanted to burden your father either," Tony told her. He wiped his face. "Don't you know this is embarrassing, Ophelia? It's not just devastating it's-it's humiliating."

"Why?" Ophelia asked him.

"Because people judge me for it," Tony said. "They judge my whole family. Saying shit like, if they've been here so long, why haven't they applied for citizenship? Or, that's what they get for coming illegally. In this white, racist ass town that's the first thing people think."