Chapter Six

Austin's POV

"How you holding up kiddo?" Dad asked me, his voice was stern and full of concern. Mom had just been put in the emergency room where she was being stabilized for giving birth. "I'm alright, just a little nervous" My nerves were up the roof, I was scared for my mom I was scared I wouldn't be able to see her anymore and that she had given her life to the newborn baby. I wouldn't want to lose my mother. I decided I'd hide my feelings about being scared and act tuff and strong for Dad, he'd want me to be strong.

"It's fine to be nervous, your mother will be fine. I called up the Mellows for this moment it was your mother's request, they will be here shortly" I could understand why Issac and his parents were coming, they have been involved with our family for a very long time ever since I first met him at church. Not long time passed and the Mellows had come "I'll be right back" Dad stood up to greet them as I stayed seated on the seats in the waiting room, I buried my face in my hands hoping to calm my nerves I felt as if there was a huge wave inside of me and I was riding it but, this wave was crazy. It didn't feel normal and I was uneasy it felt like every turn or direction the wave turned and went was completely foreign.

I think I'm about to puke... "Hey," I looked up to see Issac in front of me "Oh hi" I greeted back as I sat up straight not covering my face anymore "You look pale, you feeling alright?" I nodded my head as my eyes wandered to the floor I stared at the ground not making any eye contact with the male in front of me. "Are you scared?" I didn't answer this question immediately instead I stayed silent, I didn't know if I should be truthful and answer yes, or lie and say no. "Do you want to take a walk? There's a park close by here" I looked up at him once more "You have to ask my dad first, I promised him I'd stay here with my mom" Issac gave me a sly smirk, and turned around walking over to my dad.

I didn't think he'd go up to my dad and ask such a question, I guess I underestimated how much guts he's got. My dad gave me a thumbs up as Issac walked back over to me "You ready to go?" he smiled down at me as I stood up and returned the smile. A little ways East of the hospital is a small park that has a lot of trees with many leaves, jungle gym equipment, and lots of beautiful flowers everywhere. Unlike the little children who played here Issac and I just sat under the biggest tree in the park together.

"Are you scared?" he repeated the same question he asked when we were in the hospital, his plan of getting me out here so I could answer him, was my answer that important to him that he dragged me out here just to get it? "Yes, yes I'm scared" I admitted to which Issac stayed silent, I leaned my head against the huge tree. I started to wonder how old this tree must be, it should be old to be this big "Your mother will be fine" "How do you know?" I turned my head towards Issac as he was in the same position I was in "I know so"

He smiled as he said that, as if he had experienced it himself, he grabbed my hand and held it in his "What are you doing?" I asked as he held my hand tight "Just doing what anyone else would" he responded, I decided not to think about it too much. A few minutes went by and we were still holding hands, I felt more calm being with him I felt as if what he was saying was the truth and that his words would soothe my worries in an instant.

"We should be heading back, your father said to be back in a few minutes" he let go of my hand and got up brushing any grass off him. I looked at the hand he was holding still remembering what it felt like holding onto his hand as if it were the only thing I could hold on to. "Come on," he said as he extended his hand to me, without hesitation I grabbed his hand and he pulled me up. As we had a slow walk back to the hospital Issac still held onto my hand he squeezed it a couple of times when he saw me stressed. No matter how many times I assured him I was fine he insisted on comforting me.

"I'm fine you know" "You're fine when I say you're fine" he spoke. We walked up towards Issac's parents, the minute he saw them he immediately let go of my hand and walked ahead of me. I was disheartened by his action but, I brushed it off. "Your father just went in, when they are done they'll call us to see how the newborn is doing," Mrs. Mellow said, I nodded my head as I went back into the waiting area. I started wondering if the doctors and patients ever got tired and sick of seeing these bright lights, or ever got nauseous of the smell of the hospital. The smell of medicine, the smell of dying people both new and old smells.

I guess not. "Are you scared?" Issac asked once more as he sat down next to me, he stared at me as my eyes were fixed on the floor hands folded together ready to say a prayer. "No, I'm not scared" I smiled at him as he returned the same heartwarming smile. I had a silent prayer and stared at the door patiently waiting for the doctor. I am scared.