Chapter 39

I left the twins to sleep and walked to the kitchen with Nat.

"So you gonna tell Steve he's going to be a step father?"

"Nope, and you're not going to tell him." I dump my coffee down the drain and pause mid pour, "Wait, step father. I'm not even dating him. Nat what the hell?"

"Mmm, after we got off the jet says otherwise."

"Nat shut it." I scoff at her. 

She just laughs in my face as a joke. Wanda and Pietro come out of their room yawning. Steve not far behind them. 

"You woke them up?" I yell like a mother pissed at her husband for taking her children out of nap time.

"Sorry?" He looks confused. "Secretary Ross is here."

"Ugh." I gag. "I hate that guy." 

~

Everyone gathered into the glass conference room waiting for Ross to start talking. Wanda picks at her sleeve, Steve doesn't look up, Tony is sitting silently in the corner and everyone just looks tense. I reach my hand under the table and grab Steve's. He gives my hand a squeeze before letting go.

"Five years ago, I had a heart attack. I dropped right in the middle of my back-swing. Turned out it was the best round of my life, because after 13 hours of surgery and a triple bypass . . . I found something 40 years in the Army had never taught me: Perspective. The world owes the Avengers an un-payable debt. You have fought for us, protected us, risked your lives . . . but while a great many people see you as heroes, there are some . . . who would prefer the word 'vigilantes'." Ross starts. 

"What term would you use Mr. Secretary?" I ask sarcastically.

"Watch your tone Miss Romanoff, you still have a red ledger the government is hoping to get you for."

"Bet you're still pissed you can't find any evidence it was me." I smirk.

"Lette." Steve says stiffly.

I huff and slouch in my seat. "Continue.." I wave my hand in the air.

"How about "dangerous"? What would you call a group of US-based, enhanced individuals who routinely ignore sovereign borders and inflict their will wherever they choose and who, frankly, seem unconcerned about what they leave behind?" He clicks a remote to turn on the screen behind him. "New York." A Chitauri leviathan flies through the screen. Terrified citizens. A soldier firing a gun. The Hulk smashing things to pieces. "Washington DC." The three Insight helicarriers, firing on each other. The destroyed Triskelion. A helicarrier crashing into the Potomac and throwing up a massive wave, engulfing citizens and the camera. "Sokovia." Terrified citizens, running. The city rising. A building falling over. Wanda stares at the screen, as does Tony. "Lagos." The burning building. Paramedics moving a body. A dead girl. Wanda is particularly affected by the footage from Lagos. Steve sees this and intervenes.
"Alright thats enough."
"Excuse my outburst sir, but weren't you and your little friends sitting in an office having your hand on a button to nuke the city because you were too afraid to handle it? Weren't you also ready to side with Pierce, who by the way is Hydra, and kill billions of people? Sokovia yeah that was our fault but so what? It's not like we intentionally meant to blow it up, while you were ready to burn down the city without a second thought. Oh and Lagos only happened because your men can't get far enough off their leash to actually be able to do something worthy to be called heroic. If you arrested Rumlow right after he got out of the hospital it wouldn't have happened, therefore you wouldn't be here right now. You're only here because it went wrong. If we caught him, you wouldn't be here." At this point I'm standing leaning on the table, "I'm sorry but this doesn't seem as bad as you trying to blow up a city without a care in the world. Sorry that we caused such issues for problems you created."