Chapter 17

I wake up in a hospital room. I look over to see Nat sitting on the couch next to me.

"He knew me." I croak out my voice hoarse.

"He put a bullet in your stomach then pulled you out of the water." She chuckled.

"I gave him the necklace."

"Your wedding bands?" I nod my head. So much pain. I go to sit up but she stops me.

"You got two gunshot wounds in twenty-four hours. I think you need your rest. I have to meet with the UN but I'll sign you out after. Steve's in the next room with Sam. I gotta go but I'll see you after." She kisses my head and left the room.

•••

After being signed out I go back to my apartment to get some rest. A few days later I come across an old box buried beneath a bunch of shoes boxes. Clearly to be hidden. I open the box and take out a small silver band with a diamond. The real ring James stole to give to me.
I would have put it on a chain but I felt I would be to broken if I ever lost it.
I carefully put the ring back into the box and hide it again. I don't need Nat finding it.
After seeing him again in that fight I go to the Smithsonian to see the Captain America exhibit. I like going here sometimes to see who the man I fell in love with used to be before HYDRA. Now I go to see who Steve was before he was the man he is today.
As I approach the Bucky Barnes memoir I see a man in a big jacket with gloves, wearing a baseball cap. His brown hair sticking out of the bottom. I knew exactly who it is.
I walk up to him and stand right next to him not saying anything. I know he sees me. I can see him staring through my peripheral vision. I chose not to meet his eyes. The eyes I fell in love with so many years ago.
I grab his gloves hand and give it a small squeeze. I feel him grab back. I nod my head still without looking at him.
I let go of his hand to walk away. I let a few tears slip once I'm in the car and drive home

•••

A week later were standing at Fury's "grave".

"So, you've experienced this sort of thing before?" Fury asks.

"You get used to it." I rub Steve's arm in comfort. He grabs my hand and I lean into him.

"We've been data-mining HYDRA's files. Looks like a lot of rats didn't go down with the ship. I'm headed to Europe tonight, wanted to ask if you'd come."

"There's something I gotta do first." Steve replies.

"How about you, Wilson? Could use a man with your abilities."

"I'm more of a soldier than a spy."

"Alright then." He looks at me. "Guessing you're gonna stay here with him."

"I think it's time I stop being such a wildcard." I smile.

"Alright then." Sam and Steve shake Fury's hand. "Anybody asks for me, tell them they can find me right here." He begins walking away.

"You should be honored, that's about as close as he gets to saying thank you." Natasha says approaching us.

"Not going with him?" Steve asks.

"No."

"Not staying here?"

"I blew all my covers, I gotta go figure out a new one."

"That might take a while." I joke.

"I'm counting on it. That thing you asked for, I called in a few favors from Kiev." She hands Steve a file titled 'File No 17' in Russian. "Will you do me a favor" Steve mods. "Take Scarlette out on that date. After the last few days you could use a win."

She hugs me and walks off.

"You're going after him?" Sam asks me.

"I owe it to him." I rub my hands together.

"You don't have to come with us." Steve says to Sam.

"I know. When do we start?"

I think this is the best ending of the Cap movies. I don't know why it just is. I mean I know Civil War is him emerging from the darkness(which for some reason becomes a theme), I feel like this solidified Steve's friendship with Sam and shows how willing he is to help out even though he doesn't like Bucky much. I'm angry Steve left Sam for Peggy😢.
What did you guys think? Are you ready for Age of Ultron???
I had a lot of fun writing it and can't wait for you to read it. 😁😁 I feel her relationships with the rest of the team and Steve start to come out in that movie.
Anyways hope you liked it don't forget to vote if you want to and share.