Chapter 13

I wake up laying on a soft surface. I sit up quickly. Ow. My head hurts.

"Hey you're up how you feeling?" Steve came in asking.

"I'm alright." That's a big lie. A freaking building fell on my head.

"It was really brave, what you did for Nat getting her out of the way like that."

"Yeah, I guess. I just figured she'd be a better asset than I am."

"What? No." He seem shocked at my choice of words.

"Yes. I mean common you fought so well together in New York and I see the way you look at my sister. You guys are a team. I'm just the wildcard Fury would call in because he knew I'd figure it out. I don't even know why I'm here."

"You're here because you are a valuable asset to this team. I don't know why you don't see it."

"Because I was a bad person. Because I've killed innocent people. Because I know things no one else does. I'm just not a good person."

"Hey," He brushes a loose strand of hair out of my face, "Stop, you are a good person, just because you did those things doesn't mean you're a bad person."

"Promise me no matter what your opinion of me won't change." He stares at me for a moment.

"Nothing you do could ever change how I feel about you."

My eyes flicker from his eyes to his lips. I see his eyes do the same. He starts to lean in so do I. Our lips touch for a moment before I push myself up connecting our lips together more. Our lips don't move. I have my hands on the back of his head. I'm gripping his shirt. We start to move our lips ever so slightly. I want to savor this moment because I know when he finds out what I'm hiding,
he'll hate me. The door of the room opens. I jump back against the head board. Putting as much space between us as possible right now.

"Oh, I can come back later. But I-uh-made breakfast if you guys eat that sort of thing. Natasha is already eating." With that he walks out. It's really awkward now.

"I'm uh-" I pull the sheets off and I try to step around him. Damn that gorgeously big body, "Let's eat."

"Uh-yeah." He snaps out of his daze.

"So, the question is: who in SHIELD could launch a domestic missile strike?"

"Easy, Pierce." I throw bacon onto my plate.

"Who happens to be sitting on top of the most secure building in the world." Nat rolls her eyes.

"But he's not working alone, Zola's algorithm was on the Lemurian Star." I say.

"So was Jasper Sitwell." Steve says annoyed. I can tell he feels like everyone he's known now a days has been keeping secrets from him or is trying to kill him. "So, the real question is, how do the three most wanted people in Washington kidnap a SHIELD officer in broad daylight?" Steve asks.

"The answer is, you don't." Sam drops a file in front of Steve.

"What's this?" Steve looks at the folder in confusion.

"Call it a resume." I pick up a photo of Sam with his para-rescue team.

"Is this Bakhmala? The Khalid Khandil mission, that was you." I turn towards Steve. "You didn't say he was a para-rescue."

"Is this Riley?" Steve asks. Wait! Who's Riley?

"Yeah."

"I heard they couldn't bring in the choppers because of the RPGs. What did you use, a stealth chute?"

When I was in the red room, I remember using those things to get somewhere without being detected.

"No these." He hands us a folder that has FALCON stamped across in big letters. Then my phone rings I hand the folder to Steve and go back to the bed room.

"Hello?"

"Hello Mrs. Romanoff."

"Maria. What happened?"

"Nothing. But we need you to come in. I'll send you the coordinates."

"Maria, I can't. They're finally catching onto what I already know. Look Pierce will send STRIKE to get us anyway."

"He'll send him with them too you know."

"Yeah I know."

"He'll kill you."

"I'm counting on it." I turn to see Steve opening the door. "Look I gotta go." I hang up on her.

"Who was that?" He asks.

"Maria. She wanted to know what I thought for Fury's funeral preparations."

"Oh okay, well we're about to head out and grab Sitwell." I can see by the look on his face he doesn't buy what I'm selling. I'd tell him the truth but, I just can't. He'll hate me and I want to put off that happening for as long as possible.

"Okay give me a minute. I still haven't exactly showered" I motion to my dirt covered clothing.

"It's fine we leave in 15."

"I only need 5."

Extra chapter because I feel like this book needed more SteveXScarlette time.