Chapter 42

We get loaded into a truck. Bucky gets stuck in a glass box like some sort of zoo animal.

"So, you like cats?" Sam asks.

"Sam." Steve scolds.

"What? Dude shows up dressed like a cat attacks your girlfriend and you don't wanna know more?"

I love Sam, but sometimes his commentary is not needed. Especially in this situation.

"Your suit . . . it's Vibranium?" Steve asks.

"The Black Panther has been the protector of Wakanda for generations. A mantle, passed from warrior to warrior. And now, because your friend murdered my father, I also wear the mantle of king. So, I ask you . . . as both warrior and king . . . how long do you think you can keep your friend safe from me?"

"It wasn't him. He couldn't have been in Vienna then back in Romania in a few hours." I say.

"Lette, just stop, you've done enough." Steve is stone faced as the convoy heads underground.

~

We're escorted out of the truck only to be met with a short man and the bimbo herself.

"What's gonna happen to him?" Steve asks watching Bucky get taken away.

"Same thing that ought to happen to you. Psychological evaluation and extradition."

"This is Everett Ross, Deputy Task Force Commander." Bimbo introduces.

"What about our lawyer?" I ask.

"Lawyer. That's funny. See their weapons are placed in lockup. Oh, we'll write you a receipt." Everett says.

"I better not look out the window and see anybody flying around in that."

I look over at Bucky making eye contact with him.

"You'll be provided with an office instead of a cell. Now, do me a favor, stay in it?" Everett says handing us over to Tony.

"I don't intend on going anywhere."

"For the record, this is what making things worse looks like." Nat says walking up to us.

"He's alive."

"No. Romania was not Accords-sanctioned. And, Colonel Rhodes is supervising cleanup." Tony yells over the phone.

"Try not to break anything while we fix this. Lette, lets go."

I follow after her not daring to meet Steves eyes.

"Consequences? You bet there'll be consequences. Obviously you can quote me on that 'cause I just said it. Anything else? Thank you, sir."

"'Consequences'?" Steve asks.

"Secretary Ross wants you three prosecuted. Had to give him something."

"I'm not getting that shield back, am I?"

"Technically, it's the government's property. Wings, too."

"We didn't sign. How is their property?" I ask.

"It's the government." Is all Nat says.

"That's cold."

"Warmer than jail." Tony states bluntly.

They leave me and Steve in a glass office alone. Steve has his head in his hands leaning on his knees. I don't bother talking to him. No matter what I say he'll be pissed.

"Why were you there?" He asks.

"Because I knew it wasn't him."

"Yeah, but why were you-how did you know he was there." He looks at me. I divert my attention to the floor.