Chapter 20

"So, we were?" Bucky looks at me oddly.

"Two years from then yeah."

"What year was that?"

"2003."

"So, you were," I knew he doesn't know my age then because he doesn't know when I was born.

"Eighteen."

"Wow you were young."

"Well everyone there was. We didn't exactly get to pick who we got with. There weren't a lot of men there." The second those leave my mouth I want to slam my head against the wall. He's going to think I married him because he was the only man there. Which is not true.

"Oh."

"Please don't take it the wrong way. I actually snuck out a lot. That's actually how we met." He gives me a look of confusion like I'm insane. "I went out every night after bed check. One night she came to my room to get me for midnight training. I wasn't there. She sent you to come find me. That's how we met officially, the first time. You found me in an alley picking a fight with a guy. You were in Winter Soldier mode. You tried to kill him, but I stepped in front of you and I saw something in your eyes change. You weren't him anymore. It was like you just stopped being him. I convinced you to hang out with me for the rest of the night. That's how it all started."

By the look in his eyes I can tell he's trying to remember. I know he can't. He pulls the chain from his neck again.

"Why did you give this to me?"

"I saw the look in your eyes once Steve said he was with you tell the end of the line. I saw my chance."

"That doesn't explain why you gave it to me."

I'm not sure how to tell him I like Steve. That I gave him the necklace as my way of saying, "it's over", that I've moved on. But seeing him again, I can tell I'm not over him. I thought I could do this but I can't.

"I just thought you could have it." That's the best answer I could give him.

"Why?"

"I don't know. I figured it'd help you remember."

"I'm sorry that I don't."

"It's okay. Um I brought you one more thing." I pull a notebook out of my backpack and hand it to him. "In case you ever remember something and want to write it down so you don't forget again."

"Thank you." He takes the notebook and stands to walk out.

"James, wait." I stand up and walk towards him. "Do you really not remember me?" I stare into his blue eyes looking for any sign of recognition. There is none.

He suddenly does something I never thought would happen again. He grabs me and kisses me. Hard, like he's trying see if we fit. I'm pressed flush against his chest like he's trying to make us mold back together. I feel sparks fly and I just I can't find in myself to pull away. Until my phone rings. I look who's ruining this moment.

God damn it Sam.

I pull myself out of his arms against my better wishes. I clear my throat, "Um I should take this."

"Yeah and I should go." He turns away from me and walks out of the door. I answer the phone.

"God damn Sam what's so important you called instead of texting."

"Someone's mad they haven't found their ex-husband."

I clear my throat, "Yeah. Something like that."

"I'm calling because Tony did something stupid and Steve needs you back in New York."

"He couldn't call me himself because?"

"You know he can't use a phone." I let out a short laugh.

"I'll catch the next plane out."

"Did you find him."

"Yeah I did."

"And?"

"I don't want to talk about it."

"Was I interrupting something?" His voice is suggesting something. I don't want his voice to be suggesting something. I shouldn't have let him kiss me for that long. I shouldn't have let him kiss me at all. But I did.

"We'll talk about this when Steve's super hearing isn't around."

"I'm not at the tower. I'm on my way home now. I can't wait to sleep in my own bed. It's been so long."

"Well I guess I better get going. See ya Sam."

"Peace." I throw my phone next to me and face plant onto the bed. I let out a loud groan and fall asleep before I have to go deal with whatever mess the Stark's made this time.

Hmmm???? Well, that happened.