December 13, 20xx 10:07a.m.

Dec. 13, 20xx
10:07 am

Dear Kath,
                    Mama and I will go to church later. Yes, I started talking to her again. I couldn't possibly go on my entire life without speaking to my own mother. I forgave her when she agreed to tell me lolo's whole story. She told me he Lolo Ben ran alongside Fredi Dan N. Socram for the local elections.
                “Tito Fredi ran for mayor while Papa was his vice mayor. Papa was an activist just like his father. That's why people loved him, he always supported their interests,” she said. “While Tito Fredi was the charismatic intelligent guy everyone believed would solve our bayan's problem. That's why the two of them won.
                “Tito Fredi and Papa had been friends for a long time. They went to the same school from first-grade until high school. In fact, Tito Fredi is my ninong.
                 “But one day, Papa found out the corrupt activities of the people's favorite alkalde. Tito Fredi stole the pension of his own people and got rich from under the table transactions with businessmen. Papa threatened to sue the him if he wouldn't return their kababayan's retirment funds and admit his crimes.
                   “Of course, Mayor Socram would never do that,” Mama said. “So Papa sued him. That was why he wanted me to be a laywer after finishing my nursing degree. He expected me to continue his fight like he did when his father was murdered by his political enemies. He believed I will follow their footsteps. But I didn't. Instead, I came home and broke the news to them that I was pregnant so I could marry your father.” Her eyes looked away from me, but when I met them they have a hint of shame.
                   “Do you regret what you did?” I asked her with a sincere tone in my voice.
                  She shook her head no. Tears strolled down her cheeks and she held my hands. “How could I regret having you? You are the best thing that ever happened to me.”
                  Mama wiped her tears away and continued.  “I guess fighting for what's right is indeed hereditary. I always believed activism is an X-linked recessive pattern, where females are just carriers and males suffer fron the disease. But when I heard you were protesting weeks ago, I was so afraid that you would end up like them.
                  “I love your lolo, anak. I love that he fought for what he believed in until the end. But he knew what was coming for him. He knew it was dangerous,” she said. “Before he was killed, a trial was in progress against Mayor Socram. Last I heard of him, many people in our town still loves him and they evil consider him a hero. Only my cousin Jose and the rest of Papa's followers were left to oppose him and the case against that bastard seems like it's going nowhere. That is why I don't want you to be hurt for something that won't be worth it in the end. I just want us to live a normal life. Is that such a bad thing?” She cried once more after finishing her story.
                    I understand Mama more because of this.
                    I have to prepare for church now. I'll write you soon.