August 25, 20xx

Author's Note: This is a work of fiction. Names, characters, places, and incidents either are the products of the author's imagination or are used fictitiously, and any resemblance to actual persons, living or dead, business establishment, or events is purely coincidental.

August 25, 20xx
9:15 P.M.

Dear Katharine,

I remember when we were five we promised each other to tell one another all our secrets. To be honest, I have not been faithful to our pact. I never told you we had the same crush when we were twelve, and that I envied you a lot when you were the most liked at school because I was just your shadow.

But now that you are dead, I still want to keep my word. I named you after this diary, so I can pretend you are alive because you will forever live in me. I solemnly swear to confide the deepest and the darkest of my thoughts and the simplest and most complex teenage feelings of mine.

You must know how much I grieve your death. Just yesterday we buried you. I never thought you would be taken away from us this early. Looking at your coffin, I shivered at the sudden separation of your soul from your breathless body because I'm sure, unless Jesus resurrects you like Lazarus, you are now a ghost for forty days before your spirit enters purgatory or heaven. But I pray you'll be with God already because you have suffered more than enough. Cancer is the worst b*tch we have ever encountered. She is b*tchier than Alex, who is now dating your jerk ex-boyfriend, Brad. They deserve each other.

I wish you well wherever you are. And do believe, I shall never forget you and your last words for me: "to live the best out of your one and only life". Nobody knew me like you did. You understand how timid and eccentric I am, yet you were my friend despite my weaknesses. I shall cherish you forever for that.