August 28, 20xx

August 28, 20xx
10:03 P.M.

Kath,

           I see you have documented in your second diary how dark-skinned I am. Well, I am indeed kayumanggi*, but I never thought you would call me “agly manster”! You were so mean. I have not told you I was so scarred when you used to tease me by calling me “uling*”. You knew I came from the province, that was why I am so maitim*. Although even after years of staying in Manila, my skin hasn't lightened at all.

           But because  I don't want to be called pikon*, I retaliated by tweaking your name into “Katta-rine”. You laughed at first when you heard me say that because you thought I mispronounced it. So I told you “katta” means crazy in Ibanag. You cried after learning what it meant, and I got in trouble for that. Teacher Kim lectured me even if you were the one who started it all. You were so unfair. Anyway, I forgive you.

          But you know, I looked in the mirror to see if I am that hideous just as you described me. I am, like you said, dark-skinned and also awkwardly tall for a fourteen-year-old. My jaw is prominent and my cheekbones high, making my face masculine and matured looking. I wish to look like those K-Pop idols with soft and round faces which make them appear more feminine and cute. I guess you are right, I am hideous. But my mama constantly tells me I am beautiful. Maybe all mothers say that. I hope Rob finds me beautiful the way my mother does.

          That was also why I envied you a lot. You were light-skinned and confident. You attract boys and befriend girls. And you were always perfect. But I remember you were insecure too, which to me was absurd. You cried not having big boobs and not being as tall as those Victoria's Secret models. I guess nobody finds contentment in their looks.

          Anyway, talking to Rob has been more frequent because our seats are next to each other in Araling Panlipunan class whose substitute teacher arranged them alphabetically. I hope more teachers would do the same because we all sit where we want to after her class. But I get to know Rob more because of this.

          He told me he once lived in United Kingdom until he was eleven, but moved here when his parents separated. Rob said U.K. is liberated, unlike the Philippines who still preserve conservative values which he called “anti development”. He added that he never once was reprimanded in his previous school, but now, a week never passes without him being summoned to the guidance office.       

           While he was talking, I fell into a trance. I just stared at his light brown eyes slightly covered by his messy auburn hair, which needs a trimming as per school rules or else Sister Mary will razor his head bare. I don't want him to go bald, so I told him to have it cut. His mouth looks so soft that you can almost ignore whatever comes out of it, except that you can't. Because if you pay attention to what he is saying, he tells a lot of radical statements that I disagree with. But I am amazed by his undeniable charisma and ability to capture the heart of his listeners and to persuade them to agree with every word he says. I believe he can run for president and fool millions of people. So I must be on guard when he makes bold claims because I have learned from the politicians not to fall for silly charms.

            Oh, I forgot to tell you. I won the slogan making contest for the annual Buwan ng Wika. The teachers must have chosen me as the winner because our classmates are not good at writing in Filipino. Still, I am overjoyed.  Although, I just realized celebrating Buwan ng Wika and promoting love for our language is hypocritical of our school that insists on implementing its English-speaking policy. I am also a hypocrite because even though I wrote “Ang Pambansang Wika ay ang tanging Daan sa Kaunlaran ng ating Bansa*”, I am not as fluent in Filipino as I am in English. I guess we're all hypocrites.

             I have to go. Jenna invited me to a slumber party tonight. I hope that will be fun.

*                                                
Kayumanggi- brown
Uling- coal
Maitim - dark-skinned
Pikon- sensitive
Buwan ng Wika- Language Month
Ang Pambansang Wika ay ang tanging Daan sa Kaunlaran ng ating Bansa -    The National Language is the only way for  our country to prosper