October 04, 20xx

TRIGGER WARNING: This entry suggests alcohol abuse. If you feel like your mental health could be affected, I advise you to read no further.

October 04, 20xx
9:02 P.M.

Dear Kath,

My skin has definitely gone lighter because of that Papaya soap, even Mama has noticed it. And even the neighbors and mother's friends when we went to church acknowledged it. Plus, their compliments weren't only about my complexion. They also told me "gumaganda ka ah*" and "dalaga ka na*". I'm glad that they think that way, but they might be lying because sometimes they're just being polite.

But there are some who aren't being polite. I'm catcalled more often which is irritating, especially when I pass by the construction site in our compound. The workers there are creepy. I had to run so as not to catch attention, but I guess I attract more by doing that. Why did this happen? I mean, I did ask God to make me pretty, but I never thought my request would come with unsolicited staring from terrifying strangers.

Anyway, your brother and I have been chatting for the past few days. I kept on asking him which strand he will take after moving-up next year, but he still has no clue. Instead, he complains about the K-12 program. He claims the government is robbing us of two years by adding a senior high curriculum to our basic education. That's funny because Rob said the same thing. I defended it because the Philippines has to keep up with the quality education from other countries. But Rob told me that if that's the actual goal, it should not include strands in at all. He argues that the learning competencies for high school has been compressed into 4 school years in the Philippines, which unlike schools abroad they spread them out to six to make it more student-friendly. Kuya Chard thinks the same way, but he wants to go to college already. He aspires to be admitted in the University of the Philippines.

Mama said if Kuya Chard goes to college in U.P. like your parents did, he would most likely be an activist. That's why if she were your mother, she wouldn't allow even Kuya Chard to take their admission test. Mama thinks activism is a step before joining the NPA who terrorizes our country. But I think she just reads too much Mocha Uson blogs.

But Kuya Chard has a different reason why he wants to study in the national university. He told me he plans to join the fraternity his father is a member of, which shocked me. I don't understand the purpose of fraternities.

"They're for brotherhood and connections," he said.

"I still don't get. Why the need for hazing if it's all about brotherhood?"

"That's initiation. To see if an applicant is deserving the benefits of their group," Kuya Chard responded.

"By deserving you mean strong and useful?" I asked again.

"Exactly."

"But why do fraternities fight each other?"

"There are three principal causes of a quarrel according to Thomas Hobbes: competition, diffidence and glory," he replied. I imagine that he typed this with a smug look in his face assuming he has impressed me by his vast knowledge.

"But Thomas Hobbes also advocates for peace," I responded after Google-searching who Thomas Hobbes is, the definition of diffidence (the internet says it means insecurity, an addition to my limited vocabulary), and what else the dead dude wrote. This is the beauty of online discourse.

"That is true. But peace can only happen if there is an agreement between the parties involved."

Alas, I knew I cannot outsmart him. "It seems dangerous to join there. Will you really do it? What do your parents say?"

"Of course, Papa fully supports me. Mama doesn't. She said she already lost a child, she doesn't want to lose another one. So maybe. But suppose something bad happens to my family or my friends, and I can't ask for justice because the culprit is powerful and well-connected, under that condition, I will for sure. I think any man will," he said.

I pray to God nothing happens to anyone he loves, so he won't have to risk his life.

Anyway, I have to review for my quiz tomorrow. I'll write next time.

*
Gumaganda ka ah - you're getting prettier
Dalaga ka na - You're already a woman