September 03, 20xx

September 03, 20xx
10:13 P.M.

TRIGGER WARNING: This entry hints substance and drug abuse. If you feel like your mental health could be affected, I advise you to read no further.

Lovely Kath,

                       Yesterday, I was so busy with schoolwork, so I got tired and went straight to bed after dinner.

                       Nothing special happened except that I started hearing Jose Mari Chan's* voice for the past few days. Ber months have arrived, and they began playing Christmas songs everywhere. Mama will most likely go to Divisoria to start her early Holiday hunting for gifts. Papa might not come home from Canada this year. He feels sad because he said the Christmas cheer abroad isn't as cheerful and long as it is in the Philippines. Papa promised us he'll work harder so that one day we get to live there together and make his December merry.

                        I just realized it will be the first Christmas without you. It will never be the same without our exchange gift and house-to-house pamamasko* even though we're too old for that.

                       Anyway, your Kuya Richard's birthday is fast approaching, and we will come over your house on Sunday after church. Your kuya* is taking your death heavily. I have not seen him as much as I do because you and I can't hang out together anymore.

                      But Tita Car told Mama yesterday that life has been gloomy to them and your kuya has been out and drinking a lot. According to her, Kuya Chard is in bad company with Ken. Ken was expelled from school because he was caught smoking marijuana the day I tattled Jenna's illegal activity at the back of the school. Tita Car fears for Kuya Chard, especially with the war on drugs going on and the threat of mandatory drug testing.

                       I almost forgot. We went ukay-ukay* shopping today after school. I spotted cute clothes from high-quality brands, and we had a good bargain for them. I got a Gap sweater, a floral dress that I can wear to church, and a crop top that Mama would never allow me to put on. But nobody beats Shay at finding the great ones except you because you would snatch them from her all the time. You used to pick up fights with the girls for stupid things, but you always had your way.

                      Before we left the place, we were catcalled by tambays* and truck drivers. They're disgusting.

By the way, Rob and I started chatting. We get into wonderful conversations. I'm getting my hopes up.

*
Jose Mari Chan- a Filipino singer famous for his hit Christmas song Christmas in our hearts

Kuya- older brother

pamamasko - Christmas carol

ukay-ukay - thrift store

Tambays - unemployed