September 19, 20xx

TRIGGER WARNING:  This entry contains physical violence. If you feel like your mental health could be affected, I advise you to read no further.
A/N: Although the characters themselves do not engage with violence, this entry will tackle a sensitive political issue. If that does not sit well with you, you may click away.

September 19, 20xx
8:53 P.M.

Dear Kath,

                   It's been a crazy and tiring week. But don't worry, I'll fill you in with what's the latest gossip at school and the world. I'm just kidding, I don't want to talk about what's going on earth, it's depressing. I mean, even talking about local news and the ongoing extrajudicial killings is already stressful. The anti-drug movement of our government is like cancel culture because it lacks due process, except the stakes are not just careers but human lives.

                   Mama is pro-Duterte, that's why she agrees with the war on drugs. She said they're addicts anyway, and they are salot sa lipunan*, so it's fine. I'm not sure about my stand though because I thought the reason we need court, so that we're certain if the accused is guilty beyond reasonable doubt. It prevents the same men to be the judge, jury and executioner. But if the justice system doesn't work as many people say, does that mean we should kill anyone on the drug list just like that? What if someone gets murdered, and the murderer masks the crime as part of Oplan Tokhang even if it's not? I have so many questions. This is why I don't want to discuss this.             

                   Let's talk about something else. Shay is dating a 9th grader! She's seeing Kurt, can you believe it? I don't know why I'm surprised. It might be because earlier, Jenna told us that Kurt was her manliligaw*. I have no idea if Shay knows about that or if Jenna is aware of Shay's new love interest. Jenna most likely doesn't. I think I'm the only one who knows about the two of them. Shay told me not to tell anyone because they're not “legal” yet. She said her parents would scold her if they knew. I guess the nuns would not approve either.

                  She didn't even want me to mention it to Rhea because, although Rhea is also her best friend, she's too talkative. I notice that a lot of the girls trust me with their secrets. I would have written you all of them, but I have forgotten most of what they've told me. That must be why they confide in me because they believe I don't gossip. I am now Claire, the secret-keeper.

                  By the way, I started trying Papaya soap to lighten my skin. I hide it from Mama again because she might scream at me if she sees me using such a product. It says in the packaging that it works within a week. I hope it will work because I might feel more confident about myself if I'm not as dark as I am.   

*
Salot sa lipunan - burden to society
Manliligaw - suitor