December 25, 20xx

Dec. 25, 20xx
9:45 P.M.

Dear Kath,
                      I now know how to go back in time. Just travel from the Philippines to Canada and you just turned back time for more than half a day. Imagine, our flights lasts for 15 hours but when we arrived here, it's almost the same time as we left when we were in the Philippines. Isn't that mind blowing?
                      Forgive me for not writing yesterday because Papa tried to tour us in Calgary.     Kath, this city looks so beautiful. I wish Philippines will be like this one day too.
                      A while ago, Mama was in a state I have never seen her before. I walked up on her while I was unpacking and settling in the apartment we're staying when I noticed Mama's eyebrows crossed paths as she was reading something on her phone in disbelief. Her eyes signals joy but her mouth speaks of guilt.
                    “What is it?” I asked her while trying to look at her handheld gadget. She was looking at a news article Tito Jose sent her that says the court has already given a guilty verdict for graft and corruption to Mayor Socram after fifteen years. FIFTEEN YEARS. Finally, justice has been served after more than a decade. I don't know what to feel. It took so long, but at least Lolo Ben didn't die in vain.
                     “Better late than never,” Mama murmured in a bittersweet tone. A tear fell on her left eye. I'm sure something has changed within her, perhaps her cynical view on activism, it might be a realization that persistence in seeking justice is the way not escapism, or maybe she has recognized the social responsibilty of asking for accountability. But I hope, whatever changes her will heal her traumatic past.
                     I don't know what life has to offer now, hopefully, it will be better. I wish Rob and Jenna came with me. I'm conflicted, because I'm happy to be with Papa, but I miss the Philippines already.
                     Kath, forgive me but I bought a new diary, and I named it Philippines so to welcome the new chapter in my life while being reminded of my roots. Please don't get angry at me. I  believe that I need to do this.
                    Goodbye, Kath.