Chapter 41 : The mess my life is

CHLOE ARMEL

I was dragging my only friends that I had been able to make in the chaos and confusion that my life is. I was being selfish. They were suffering due to me somehow and I knew it. They were just not accepting it. And unless I stepped back myself I knew for sure that they too wouldn't accept that ever.

Sitting near my riverside spot I was immersed in deep thoughts. Past few days were so full of events and happenings that now that I look at it, it feels things are slowly slipping away from my hand. The usual calmness that I usually felt whenever I visited this spot was missing.

Things were so much stressed that I could see only one option again and again in front of me, the only option that would keep them all and even Cole away. But I lacked the guts. I did not want to do it.

The only resort was impossible for me to choose because that required of me to leave my only friends all over again exactly the way I did a year back.

COLE O' CONNELL

"Let me know when she returns back,"

"Sure... ok then I will hang up now," the line disconnects. I was on a call with Andre and on talking to him I came to know that Chloe had not returned home yet.

She had not been very much mentally present during the lunch break after the Cassandra event, and even after that she seemed lost and distant in the remaining class hours. I had tried to cheer her up but she seemed too low to be lively.

The strangest part was when she walked out of the school as soon as the class got over without a word. It felt like one moment she was right beside us and then the other moment she was gone. We were all anxious, and hence I told Andre to let me know anything he could about Chloe, on reaching there.

Hence he had called me. But now the question was where she was, as no one knew about her whereabouts.

CHLOE ARMEL

*ring* *ring*

I feel my phone buzz beside me, and I look at the caller id. I was not shocked to see Cole calling me up. The way I had reacted in school would definitely call attention, but that was not my intention. I momentarily think of not picking up, but then I decide against it.

Not picking up would do the reverse of what I want to do. Therefore I end up picking the call.

"Hey Chloe! Where are you?" he was anxious, and I knew it by the way he spoke. Even when I am not with them, all I give them is anxiety and stress.

I think for a moment and then reply, "I am in the market, I had some shopping to do."

"Hmm... which market are you in?"

"Why?" I ask instead

"I...I was just thinking of accompanying you," he says slyly

"I am actually done with my work, and I am returning, so there is no point in your coming here." I say, even though a part of me was making me feel guilty for lying to him.

"No problem, I will meet you at your place then."

He was about to hang up but I speak up in a haste, "Hmm... you know there is tra..traffic here so it will possibly take me some time to reach home, and I don't want to leave you stranded.

"And can I know why you want to come to my place?"

"Oh...well remember the homework that we missed on, and decided to do together. I thought I could come over and we could do the notes together just like the last time."

There was hope in his voice, irrespective of me denying him so many times, with different excuses, and I felt bad knowing that I was going to let him down all over again.

"I am really really sorry but I am already done with the notes and to top it I will not be free tonight, I have got some work with my parents."

I knew very well that I haven't even touched my books this entire week, and my parents weren't going to be here until this Saturday, but I say the foremost thing that comes to my mind.

The line stays quiet for some time on the other side, and it won't take a genius to figure out that I was literally making up excuses so that he doesn't turn up. I feel a slight stitch in my chest, but nevertheless, I stay on the line, getting up meanwhile to proceed towards my car and then home.

"Hmm...okay then see ya tomorrow..." saying this he cuts the call, without even waiting for my reply like usual.

And holding back my tears and the pain that was emerging from somewhere deep within I start my car. 

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Hello everyone!

Here goes the next update. This chapter is a bit small compared to my usual updates but it was a must. So I still hope you all will enjoy this chapter. 

Coming to the weekly updates, my exams will be starting from the 5th of Feb and end on the 17th of Feb. But since I will have gaps in between I will make sure I update every Sunday just like now and don't stop the sequence. But in case due to some reasons if I feel that it is not going to be possible (during my exams) I expect full co-operation from you all. 

Coming to the end, Do Vote, Comment and Share if you like my story.

Surls