Chapter 2:"Just stay at a distance"

*Chloe Armel*

It was the first day of our high school and I was sitting all alone in one of the last benches of the class as I didn't want to be noticed. I was in my own pensive mood thinking about what had happened two years ago with Ashton Deville when I was in the ninth grade.

On recalling those beautiful memories that I shared with him during those days brought smile on my face but it was not for too long as, as soon as those dark thoughts of our relationship used to crowd my mind, all of a sudden my heart used to sink deep down so that all I felt was hatred towards men and nothing more.

The relationship that I had shared with him made me shut people out of my lives more. I had no more trust on people and maybe it is because of this that I had not said even one thing about what had happened to anyone, not even my closest of friends.

In fact the word love was totally out of my dictionary. I had understood one thing for sure and that was that HURT was a four word synonym for LOVE.

It was then and it is now that I have not fallen for anyone not that I had met any such person, still, and I was more than glad for it. I had a firm belief that life was more beautiful alone and I was far much happier in my own comfort zones.

Suddenly I realized that someone has just come and was sitting beside me. I was new and I didn't know what to do. I wanted to shoo him out but I thought that it would be too rude of me to do so as I would have to land up sitting with someone or the other at the end.

I ignored him and drove back into my pensive mood but this time I made sure I didn't think about Ashton as I only felt hurt on thinking about him. I felt the boy who was sitting beside me brush against me. His touch brought me out of my trance all at once.

Confused that whether it was purposely or just a mistake I tried to keep my voice as low and as polite as possible and I said him, "Can you please just stay at some distance." I was really touchy, at least after whatever had happened to me.

I know I was acting too much but I didn't care as I wasn't looking forward to any kind of PHYSICAL HUMAN CONNECTION, not at all, not yet, I wasn't ready.

He seemed shocked at first and then slightly creasing his eyebrows at me he whispered, "Don't you wanna get close to one of the hottest and baddest boy of the school." He was too near to me, and I could feel his breath on my face.

I don't know from where but it seemed as if I had gathered all the courage that God had given me and from somewhere within me I managed to speak up the following with a resolute and firm pair of eyes," Firstly, I don't think that you're that hot that I would even want you to come close to me," ignoring the nervous sensation that he was giving me I continued, "Secondly, you need to improve your English, there is no word as such as BADDEST that exists in the oxford dictionary and thirdly, Just stay at a distance."

Saying this I placed my palm on his chest and slightly pushed him away, and I quickly removed my hands. His chest seemed to be strong and muscular but still I felt as if he allowed me to push him away.

"Whoa! So girl has got an attitude?" he said raising the right corner of his lips. Surprisingly enough, I found something in his light brown eyes. Something....strange. I didn't always got captivated by people but you know those situations where you look at someone you don't know and something does not allow you to take your eyes off them, something you yourself are unaware of. Well that is what that exactly happened to me then. I don't really know but there was something uncanny about the way his pupils were, all dark difficult to be deciphered, something that showed secrecy, walls, boundaries, and distance, something that I had always seen in my eyes when I looked at myself in the mirror after that awful day. I was.....I was struck for some moment. It was like as if his eyes had just captivated me so much, that I couldn't turn my gaze away from him. The kind where you feel a stare longer could help you with something.