Chapter 46 : The Paparazzi

CHLOE ARMEL

Once mom and dad leave, Sam approaches me slowly. I try my best to not show that I am unnerved by his reaction, but I fail miserably. I don't think that I was scared of him, but I realized at that moment, that being alone with any other guy other than Cole did not make me feel at my best.

He stands right before me invading my personal space, so I take a step back. He looks taken aback, and I regret my action instantly. He was not a bad guy and he did not deserve such a treatment.

I look up at him, only to see him looking intently at me. But this time his eyes speak a different story. He was reading me, just like how Cole had done in our first meeting. But I did not want to be read by anyone anymore so I break the ice in between us.

"Shall...shall we go?" I say clearing my throat.

He looks puzzled for some time but then collecting his thoughts he nods.

"But wait a second, I have to say you something first."

I stop, and look at him, urging him to speak.

"You look really pretty tonight and I can bet that you will be the center of attraction for all the guys and not just that, you are going to make all the girls drunk on jealousy but..." he stops taking his time, "you really do not have to worry about me. I might be a bit too frank and I may flirt a bit openly but I am not the bad type of guy,"

His words surprise me but I let him continue, "You can feel safe with me and you can be assured that I am not going to try any of the stupid tricks that other guys might try on girls. So please just stay cool, and you don't have to worry about anything. Okay?"

His words not just surprise me but they assure me too, because he had a sincerity which most guys lack. He was open but not bad, and though I already knew it his words just made me even more comfortable, removing the inch of insecurity that I was feeling.

I smile and nod back at him, he smiles too. We start proceeding towards the main door, but I remember something, and I stop him,

"I forgot to mention something." I say controlling the smile that was trying to make its way to my face.

He looks slightly eager to hear what it is and curious even.

"You look handsome too." I say a bit shyly.

He was wearing a black tuxedo with a golden tie to match with my dress. His hair was neither jelled nor messy and it was done in the most suitable manner for tonight which gave it so much of originality.

He raises his eyebrows slightly in amusement at my utmost lame attempt at praising him. While I merely feel embarrassed.

God!!! I could have done better.

"Thank you.... Coming from 'Chloe Armel' it means a lot," he says chuckling, which makes me chuckle in turn.

It was surprising how he turned the unease in between us to comfort so soon, given that we barely know each other.

We make our way towards where his car is parked.

It was a really fabulous model of a grayish black Ferrari.

He opens the car door for me like a gentleman that he was.

Once we are seated he plays a playlist and starts to drive. The first song that plays floods me once again with numerous memories, and I instantly miss Cole all over again.

'I don't wanna live Forever' by Zayn and Taylor Swift was playing. This was the same song that I and Cole had danced to during the party.

"Can I change the playlist?" I ask. I did not want to look low remembering someone who wasn't even going to be there.

"You okay? Don't you like the song?" He asks instead.

"I just don't want to hear it now." I say, praying within that he would understand and won't persuade me to know anymore.

He nods and I was more than glad for that.

>>//<<

Sam holds the door open for me to step out. A lot of paparazzi were already there with cameras in their hand. But there were also a lot of security guards to hold them at bay.

Each pair was supposed to make their way through the red carpet. I step out slowly taking my time. Even though I did not attend such parties much I knew what stupid mistakes could do, and how they were always exaggerated in the business world.

The moment I am completely out of the car, I feel a loud scream erupting from around me.

"Don't worry about the noise. They are the paparazzi and also the journalists, intent on making the ones who have come for the first time nervous. All they want is a very good cover story on who tripped and who fell and all that bullshit. So just don't react to it and walk in a calm manner. I will be there beside you. And you've got to hold my hand."

I listen to Sam carefully while he rants all that in one go. I look up at him, signaling that I was ready to take the walk.

He comes on my left side, and raises his right arm in such a manner so as I can loop my arm around his. For a small fleeting moment I hinder, but adamant on not giving the paparazzi any hideous story for their cover page I start walking beside him.

Sam walks slowly, probably because he thought I was in heels. But honestly, heels weren't the problem it was the screaming or rather howling crowd on both sides of us. The small distance that we were supposed to walk felt to be miles.

I try to act as normal as possible covering up my nervousness under the cover of resolute bearing. I wanted to glance at Sam to see how he was doing, but I was nervous as hell to even move my pupils, forget about turning my head ninety degree to see his face.

We reach the hall where the ball was taking place, and I feel myself leaving the breath that I was firmly holding onto for so long. I look at Sam and we both smile at each other like as if we have just won a marathon. 

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Hello Friends!! I am really sorry for a late update but I was fixed in some work and couldn't get time out. My last update was on 28th Feb and today is 21st March. So I guess that two updates are still due as on today. Therefore I will be posting two chapters today and two chapters on the next weekend. Hope that will do to make up for my delay. 

Do Vote, Comment and Share if you like my story.

With immense apologies,
Surls. :) :)