Chapter 53

Calum's POV

"Hi Uncle Felix," Zara smiles as we walk out of the parking garage and head down the street to the next car.

"Hi Zara," he smiles down at her, "How are you doing today?"

"I'm bored," she whines, "I wanted to play. Daddy says you missed me though so we have to see you."

"Caught me red handed, Zara," Felix teases, making her giggle loudly, "It's just up here, guys." We all nod.

A few steps later, the ground starts to shake, just like it did when Tremor was here. Zara looks up at me with wide, panicked eyes. I immediately scoop her up, holding her tiny body on my hip.

"It's okay," I assure her softly, "It's okay, Z. I've got you." She holds onto me tightly. We all fall to the ground along with all of the other pedestrians.

"LA!" A voice booms overheard, "So nice to finally meet my new subjects."

"It's the mean lady, daddy," Zara whimpers, holding to me tighter, "and mummy." I look up and see Molly and Maxima standing on a pile of cars in the middle of the street. Molly is dressed very similarly to what Shockwave used to wear, a dark green leather body suit. Her mask is black. Her hair is slicked straight back and dyed black now instead of the red it's been for years. But her eyes are red and burning with hatred. I feel sick. Luke catches my eye, panic filling his gaze.

"For those of you who haven't met me yet, I'm Maxima," she continues talking to all of the people crowded the streets. She has a proud grin on her face. "This is my sidekick, Malice. She's here to make sure that you all comply with your new Queen."

"Isn't that Psyche?" A voice from the other side of the street calls out.

"No, Blaze!"

Maxima's expression changes, "Psyche is dead! So is Blaze. Malice is forever." Molly's posture gets straighter, more rigid.

"What happened to her?" Crystal shouts, her head down so Maxima doesn't see her. I almost manage a smile as she falls for the typical supervillain move of explaining herself.

Her nasty smile returns, "So glad you asked. I've perfected my serum. I can now take control over anyone that is injected with it. I control them. They're my play toys. Anyone want to join?" The city is dead silent. I glance back over at Molly and frown, seeing that her posture is now relaxed.

"It changes with Maxima," Luke whispers, scooting over beside me, Felix, and Zara, "When Maxima relaxes, so does Molly. They're more connected. That's different from when I was under her control. It's a different serum."

"So she's evolved," Felix swears, "That means we don't know if the shock will work anymore." The wind is knocked out of me.

"The first matter of business," my attention goes back to Maxima, "Is to make sure that everyone is able to be complacent. We can't have anyone trying to fight back. That means that anyone with powers must either be eliminated or added to our ranks. If you have powers, come forward now. I know we are not the only two." Luke's eyes are panicked. I glance down at Zara fearfully. I look back up, and Luke catches my gaze, nodding towards Zara with wide eyes. I shrug.

"No one?" Maxima screams in frustration, "I know there are some of you out there. My failures. No? Fine then. Malice? Find them for me." Molly closes her eyes. Luke's eyes go wide. He presses his hands to his ears, like he's trying to block out a noise. Felix pulls off his jacket and shoves it against his mouth. Luke bites down, trying to fight screaming out. I hold Zara closer, pleading that nothing happens to her. Someone closer to Molly and Maxima starts to scream in agony. They're lifted off of the ground and thrown in front of Maxima. She grins menacingly before shoving a needle into his arm. He immediately collapses, dead. Mercury, I realize. My heart races. Sierra crawls over, holding tightly to Luke, trying to help calm him some.

This happens to three other people. Luke has tears running down his cheeks as he tries desperately to block it out. Finally, a small scream escapes his lips.

No.

Molly nods her head in our direction, and Luke goes flying over to Maxima, rolling across the concrete.

"The first one that really worked," Maxima smiles cruelly. She grabs a new syringe of Mercury from a short man.

"Molly?" Luke chokes out, his eyes wide with fear. She doesn't blink.

"Mummy!" Zara screams loudly. Before I realize what's happening, she's pushing out of my arms and going over to the group of supers.

"Zara!" I yell, panicked.