Chapter 58

Calum's POV

"Jesus Christ," Luke yells loudly, clearly very stressed out. A grin makes its way onto Molly's face. I nearly cry out in relief at the sight of her.

"Mummy!" Zara yells happily, starting to run towards her. I reach down and grab her, scooping her up in my arms.

"Not yet, Z," I whisper to her. She pouts, but gives in.

"Malice," Maxima snarls, getting back up, "Kill them all. Now."

"No." The supervillain's eyes grow wide at the disobedience.

"No?" She repeats, "Did you just tell me no?" Molly just smirks at her. She turns to Luke and mutters something. He swallows hard, but nods, looking hesitant. His arms start to glow red again. Molly superspeeds forward and knocks Maxima to the ground again, pure anger in her eyes. My stomach turns nervously. What if Maxima takes control over her again? I glance back at Luke, a little confused as to why he's just standing there and not helping her.

Molly's arms glow blue as she holds Maxima down. Maxima glares at her, her eyes narrowed as she focuses. She's trying to take control over Molly again, I realize.

"It's not gonna work," she snaps, "I'm free from you." Felix tosses her a pair of handcuffs. Molly snatches them out of the air and pins her arms behind her back. I glance over and see two cop cars pulling up.

"It's not possible," Maxima cries out loudly, clearly distraught as Molly handcuffs her, "It's not. You weren't supposed to be able to break free from my control. I don't understand."

"Shut the hell up," Felix shoves her towards his mum's police cruiser. Molly bites her lip, walking back over to Luke. I put Zara down, watching as she sprints over to Molly. I move over as well, a smile on my face as I look at her. Luke's arms are still glowing. I guess he can't get it under control. I shrug go myself as we gather around them.

"How'd you break free of her control, Molly?" Michael grins, a big smile on his face.

"I didn't," she whispers, holding Zara tightly. We all freeze, confused by this.

"What do you mean you didn't?" I choke out. I glance over at Luke and immediately connect the dots. My heart drops, "It's Luke, isn't it?"

She nods, "I did snap out of it to save him, like I did with Zara, but she was taking over me again. It's almost like a WiFi signal. Luke's shields block out the brainwaves, stopping her from controlling me."

"As long as I keep this up," Luke grits out, clearly struggling, "She's free."

"So once Luke can't hold it any longer..." No one says anything. I feel sick. I'm gonna lose her all over again.

"In theory," Felix speaks up, "You haven't been connected to her for twenty or thirty minutes now. You might not be under influence anymore." We can all hear the desperation in his voice.

"I can drop it," Luke shrugs, "It's worth a try."

"You guys have to Mercury me if I'm still under her control," Molly speaks up, her voice tight. The wind gets knocked out of me.

"What?" Ashton's voice is quiet, "Molly no-"

"Yes," she insists, "I won't go back under her control. I can't. I-" She stops, wincing as she squeezes Zara a little tighter. "It's okay," she assure us quietly, "Really. I'll be fine. Just-" I start to cry softly. I'm not the only one though.

"I don't wanna say goodbye and jinx it," Crystal sniffles loudly.

Molly nods, "Me either. I'll be fine. Drop it, Luke."

He bites his lip, looking at her hesitantly, "Molls, I-"

"Please." He squeezes his eyes closed and nods. Molly kisses Zara's forehead, holding her close as Luke slowly drops his forcefield, the red glow around his arms fading away.