Chapter 14

Calum's POV

I glance around nervously at my surroundings as I walk through Luke and Molly's old neighborhood. Memories from back before the band really got popular smack me in the face, hitting me with wave after wave of nostalgia. I turn the corner and see the entrance to Luke and Molly's old apartment building. A smile forms on my face as I stare at the flickering light just inside. They still haven't fixed that light. Some things never change.

I'm pulled from my thoughts when someone screams a few blocks away. My stomach turns nervously. I shouldn't be here. It's dangerous. I turn to head back to my car but end up staring at brick wall. When did I go down an alley? I turn back around and see a silhouette blocking the exit of the alley, making my stomach drop. The figure moves closer. I squint, trying to make out any characteristics in the dim alley lighting.

"You shouldn't be here," a familiar voice scolds, "It's dangerous. Especially at night."

"I know," I reply, relaxing significantly at the sight of Blaze, "I used to live here."

"Me too." This grabs my attention.

"You did?"

"Yeah," Blaze answers, "Now leave. Go back home."

"No," I reply, "Not yet. I, uh, I need to talk to you."

Her eyebrows raise slightly as she crosses her arms over her chest, "Okay Calum. What do you want to talk about?"

I swallow hard, my cheeks burning, "I'm sorry for making you take of your mask the other day. And for sleeping with you."

"Apology accepted, I guess?"

"It's not that I didn't enjoy it or anything," I fumble, hating myself more with every word, "It's just, we can't be together. I can't put my daughter in danger and-"

"I get it."

"I just want to apologize though-"

"You already did."

"I meant, it's not like me to just sleep with someone I don't know," I finally choke out, "You just, you remind me so much of my ex-fiancee." I see her face soften in the shitty back alley lighting, a small smile appearing on her lips.

"You still miss her?" Blaze inquires, her voice full of curiosity.

"Yeah," I agree, "She was the love of my life." We start to walk, her leading the way. "When she died, I-"

"I'm sorry," she apologizes, her voice cracking.

"For what?" Blaze shrugs, her eyes trained on the ground.

"This is your car right?" I look up and stop in my tracks, kind of surprised to see my car right in front of us.

"Yeah, I, uh- When did we get here?"

She laughs softly, "Just now. You should go now, Calum. I- I'm gonna miss you."

"I don't want to just be using you, Blaze. I don't think it's fair to you."

She bites her lip, "I don't mind if you use me." Blaze looks up at me with her big blue eyes, just like Molly used to. My heart nearly stops as it hits me. Blaze is Molly. She has to be. My brain works overtime to figure out why the face under the mask doesn't match Molly's. Then the lightbulb goes off.

It's that stupid power that makes her sick. The one that killed her after the Inferno fight. She used it to alter her face the other night after I accused her of being Molly. I feel dizzy. I need to know if I'm right or not.

I look back down at Molly, my heart racing. She stares up at me in confusion, waiting for me to respond. I simply press her back against the brick wall, kissing her fiercely.