43

"Where ya headed?" Jungwoo's mom asked softly as she looked up piece of cloth she was embroidering.

"Uh...a friends house," He answered, unnecessarily guilty at the very idea that he was lying about Doyoung being just a friend. Never in his life had he willingly lied to his mother and this whole situation was slowly eating him away inside. "Doyoung's house...you know him."

She stabbed the needle into the material at the edge of the hoop before setting it down on the couch next her. "You've been hanging out a lot," She stated, reaching for the cup of lemon tea sitting next to her. She took a long drink, causing Jungwoo's fists to clench anxiously. "I'm glad you have a good friend. You've never been this close to somebody and I'm just...happy for you honey."

A sigh of relief fell from the boys lips. "He's a really good friend," he said quietly, wishing he could sit down and tell his mom how perfect this boy was. He wanted to tell her everything because his mom had always been his closest friend...but now she thought Doyoung was his closest friend. "I'm gonna get going, I'll be back in a couple hours."

Picking the embroidery hoop back up, she let out a small hum, "Ok, drive safe. I love you."

His mind was preoccupied the whole walk out to his car. It wasn't fair that he couldn't tell his mom. He shouldn't have to be afraid that she would be anything but happy for him. Maybe he wanted to say he was going to his boyfriends house without a second thought.

"Shut up," Jungwoo groaned, hitting the side of his head with his palm. We have a birthday party to attend, get it together, he mentally scolded as he glanced into the mirror, flashing himself a pretty smile.

He turned the radio on in hopes of occupying his mind with other, less intrusive thoughts. The song that played through the speakers juxtaposed his melancholy quite nicely, acting as a catalyst for a positive mood. Placing his hands on the steering wheel, he finally backed out of his driveway, humming the tune of the song as he did so.

✨✨✨

A small smile formed on Jungwoo's face as he lifted a hand to knock on Doyoung's front door. It only took seconds before it was opened by a very excited Dahye. "Jungwoo!"

Kneeling down and opening his arms for a hug, he let her decide what she wanted to do. She didn't have to think long before jumping into his arms. "Happy birthday, Dahye."

The girl gasped, pulling away from their hug, a grin spread across her face, "Youngie gave you my invitation?"

"He did, it was very pretty," he responded softly. Earlier that week, he was very happy to receive a piece of pink paper from Dahye covered in stickers and glitter with barely legible handwriting. After asking Doyoung for help with deciphering it, he found out it was an invitation to her birthday party.