29

"Do you want me to drive you to school, hun?" Mrs. Kim asked as she walked into the kitchen where her son was sitting at the table reading a book.

He quickly looked up, a bit startled by her voice, "No thank you. I'm going to drive myself today."

A smile formed on her lips. "You've been driving to school all week. Are you finally over gas prices?"

The boy shrugged, "It's just easier than trying to find a ride home."

"Well you better get going before you're late, you drive like a grandma."

Jungwoo pouted at his mothers teasing, "That's not very nice."

Pressing a quickly kiss to his forehead, she urged the boy out of the door. "Have fun, I love you! Don't stay too late tonight!"

A sigh fell from Jungwoo's lips as he plodded over to his car. Maybe he was being too sensitive about all of this, but he just couldn't act like everything was normal.

He woke up in the same bed as another boy, the day after him and that boy held hands at the pier, everything wasn't normal. So no, Jungwoo didn't want to drive to school, but he also needed a reason for Doyoung not to bring him home.

Even though he'd been completely avoiding Doyoung, there wasn't a moment where the elder wasn't on his mind. Apparently his brain didn't get the no Doyoung memo. It seemed like every little thing reminded him of the boy he was trying to forget. Why was it so hard to move on from somebody he wasn't even that close to?

"You are close to him." Somehow, Jungwoo's own voice made him jump. He was getting more pathetic every day and he was just out of ideas to reverse it. Another drawn out sigh escaped the boy when he realized he hadn't even left his driveway yet. He was going to be late because he was thinking about Doyoung, pathetic.

✨✨✨

"Why so sad, honey?" Ten asked as he laid is head down on the table so he was eye level with his sad friend.

Jungwoo's eyebrows knit together while he thought of another meaningless excuse he could tell the elder to wane the worry he possessed. "I'm okay, Ten." Pathetic.

"You don't look okay. You know you can talk to me about anything," Ten pried. He was tired of seeing the younger sad so often. There wasn't a single day this week Ten could think of where Jungwoo didn't walk in wearing a frown.

"I said I'm okay." Regardless of how quiet the boy could whisper, the words were still unnecessarily harsh, piercing Ten from across the table.

"Fine." Ten spat back.

"Everything okay over here? I don't see any work being done." Mrs Ahn asked as she walked past the duo's table.

Lifting his head, Jungwoo nodded. "I'm sorry Mrs Ahn, I just have a headache."

She sent him a comforting smile, "You can go to see Nurse if you want to? I'm sure she'd let you sleep in her room for the rest of the hour."

"Yes please," he whispered, already packing his things up.

✨✨✨

Doyoung was walking to his motorcycle alone for the fifth time that week in the dark, you could say in considerably angry manner. Was that Jungwoo's plan all along? To make him think he actually had a chance then act like nothing happened between them? He'd taken the hint on Monday when jungwoo wouldn't even look him in the eye when he tried to talk to the boy.

He just didn't understand what happened, things were just starting to work out between them. It was crazy how much you could miss somebody. No matter how stupid it made him feel, Doyoung sat at the dinning room table every night waiting for Jungwoo to call him, but he never did. Jungwoo used to call him before he went to bed almost every night, just because.

"What's your problem dude?"

Coming to a halt at the sudden disruption of silence, Doyoung turned around to see three football players standing in front of him. "Excuse me?"

"Leave my girl alone," The one in the middle growled before taking a step forward.

"Your girl?" Doyoung's face contorted in confusion as he tried to figure out what he'd done with a girl to piss this guy off. "I think you've got the wrong person."

When the boy saw Doyoung turn to leave, he quickly grabbed his arm. "Kang Hyewon. Remember yet!?"

Yanking his arm away, he scoffed, "She's my science partner. Are you that insecure?"

"Why were you at her house!"

Doyoung rolled his eyes, "Sometimes in science class, parters have projects that we have to work on outside of school."

There was a blur of blue and white from the boys varsity jacket before something came in contact with Doyoung's cheek. Just as he moved to hit him back, the other two grabbed his arms and held him in place.

"You're lying! My girl won't shut up about you—that's something more than science partners!" He yelled before hitting Doyoung again and again.

✨✨✨

"Jungwoo, go home. It's late, you can finish up tomorrow."

Looking up from the paper he was filling out and saw the principal standing in front of him. "Oh, hi Mrs Kim."

She pulled the paper away from him and smiled, "So get going."

"O—Ok..." Jungwoo mumbled as he started packing up his things.

He sighed for the umpteenth time of the night when he realized it was already dark out. His mom was bound to yell at him again for overworking himself.

Although he wished he could just sleep in the student council room, he finally left the building and set off towards his car.

"Hey Jungwoo."

Jungwoo looked up at the boys in front of him, They seemed to have just come from football practice. "Hi Changkyun. Don't be late for our meeting tomorrow!" He said before walking past them with a smile.

However, that smile fell when he saw somebody sitting on the ground, back against the brick exterior of the school. When he got closer, he had to bite back a gasp when he saw that somebody was Doyoung. "Why are you on the ground? It's dark out and you're just—oh god...you're hurt."

Kneeling on the ground next to the elder, Jungwoo examined the severity of the injuries on the boys face. He frowned as his eyes scanned over his busted lip and bleeding nose. "L—Let me take you to my house so I can get you cleaned up," He said quietly before pulling Doyoung's arm around his shoulder and hoisting the boy up. Noticing the hand he had pressed firmly to his stomach, Jungwoo's frown only deepened, "What happened?" 

———

TBC 

Thanks for reading 💖