𝐟𝐢𝐟𝐭𝐲-𝐬𝐢𝐱

Music blasting and Elena rushing out of a room with her handbag in hand, looking for something on the sofas.

"Calculator. Calculator. Lizzie, have you seen the calculator?" Elena asked Lizzie in a rush who was seated next to the bed where Kai was laying on. 

Lizzie pointed underneath Kai's forearm, "Of course. Under the catatonic serial killer," Elena said right after she noticed Lizzie's pointed finger. 

A disgusted look was on Elena's face at touching Kai's skin, dropping the calculator into her handbag. 

Somebody entered through the door, "Hey, you two," Damon said, closing the door behind him, "Sandwich?" 

"I can't. I'm late for my volunteer shift at the hospital," Elena said and then took a bite out of the sandwich Damon held up to her face.

"Okay-- ooh, how is Jo doing, Lizzie?" Damon turned and asked Lizzie, "She's doing great-- I made sure she got home safely and she's slowly getting the hang of her magic," Lizzie responded.

"I know everyone has their doubts about Jo's magic, but she has an entire month to get stronger and beat Kai in the merge ceremony. So a little bit of support wouldn't kill anybody," Elena said to Damon as he rolled his eyes. 

"Still counting sheep, or whatever the hell you psychopaths dream of?" Damon made his way over to Kai and Lizzie. 

"Look. Alaric's gone out of town to get some mystical thingamabob to give Jo an edge and Lizzie's job is to babysit Kai with you, Damon, and try not to smother him with a pillow," Elena told Damon.

Damon looked defeated, "Fine," Then Elena started speaking, "And if he starts twitching or something, just give him fifty milligrams of pentobarbital." 

"You're so cute when you're all doctorly," Damon flirted with his girlfriend and Lizzie gave the two an eye-roll and continued watching over Kai.

Elena's badge was on the cabinet, "Oh. Hey. You forgot this-- you're not free tonight by any chance, are you, because I know this little Italian joint that has eggplant so good you actually think you're eating people," Damon spoke. 

"Heh-- and I happen to have a weird eggplant obsession," Elena responded, "Perfect! And I'm thinking maybe after that go to the art-house theatre, they're playing some pretentious French flick." 

Elena chuckled, "I don't speak French, Damon," 

"Not to see the movie, silly, but to hide in the back and throw popcorn at the hipsters," He moved Elena's hair away and placed her badge around her neck for her. 

"Wait. We've gone on this date already, haven't we?" 

"Damon! That's cheating, okay? You already know everything about me."

"Cheating? Cheating is erasing all of our epic memories-- that's cheating." 

"I'm serious. Look, if we're going to do this, then we can't just pick up where we left off because I don't remember where that is." Elena said.

"I understand. Where would you like to start?" He responded, "At the beginning. I'm off at 6:00. You can pick me up then. Please babysit Kai, thank you, love you," Elena said afterwards.

"Love you too," He responded. 

...

It was now dark outside and Damon and Lizzie were constantly bickering while babysitting Kai, Damon was now on the phone, talking to Joshua Parker from what Lizzie could make out of, talking about the merge.