Overextension

"Can you tell me why?"

"Why what?"

"Why you tried to please everyone?"

"It's just a thing I do."

"But why? Who made you start doing that? Was it York? Did someone else do it? Like back when you were in school or something?"

        Sighing, Della flexed her feet. She was laying down, head in North's lap, while he absentmindedly played with her hair. She would've probably fallen asleep by him doing that if it wasn't for him talking. It didn't bother her, rather it just made her think a lot more than she wanted to.

"No one did it. I've just always been like that," she replied softly.

"And how have you lived this far?" he asked.

"By not keeping many people close," she half-laughed.

"Elaborate," he said.

"They're always after one thing; my intelligence. Make them happy and then send them off. Wash, rinse, repeat, North," she explained, raising her eyebrows.

"So why do you still do it? Trust me, Carolina isn't after your brain," he continued.

"Don't want to let people down," she answered softly, fingers tracing lines on his arm.

"Promise me you won't do that ever again."

"What? Let people down? I'm trying North--"

"No. That you're doing too well. Don't overextend yourself. It...uh....it really sucked seeing you on the floor."

"Aw, you do care about me?"

"Yeah. A lot. So don't hurt yourself, okay? I wouldn't be able to live with myself."

"North, I'll be fine. Don't worry about it, okay? Instead, you should be worrying about more pressing matters."

"Such as?"

"It's not my place to tell you."

"Oh look, it's Carolina's twin sister."

"Ha, ha. Very funny North."

"So...uh...pizza? On the floor? And uh...movie? Let Theta hop around?"

"Sounds fun...but I really don't want to get up."

Grinning, North threw her over his shoulder in one swift move, getting up to walk into the kitchen.

"THIS ISN'T WHAT I MEANT!"

___________________________________________________________________________________

(Disclaimer: I do not own the Red VS Blue characters, they are owned by the lovely people at RoosterTeeth :))