And Oh, The Way I Cried

Waiting was the hardest part. North couldn't go see if there were any updates because every time he tried, South would dig her nails into his arm. And since he didn't paticularly like scars on his arms, he stayed by her side. 

"South?" he asked.

"Hm?" she mumbled, face in his chest.

"Can I go call a few people? I'll have Carolina and CT go stop at your apartment and get something else for you to wear and to feed Rho. I think we're going to be here for a while," he asked, voice soft.

"Can I just call them? I can do it," she asked, lifting her head up and wiping her eyes.

"Are you sure? I don't want it to upset you," he warned, raising his eyebrows.

"I can do this. Can you please go see if Meg or Lindsay or Ashley has anything to update?" she asked, standing up slowly.

"Okay. If you need me, I'll be just down the hall," he assured, standing up and starting back toward the ER. "Good luck, sis."

        The phone glowed in her palm, contacts glaring up at her, begging to be used to explain the accident. South bit her lip and paced back and forth for a few minutes, trying to collect her thoughts into something professional. 

Maine might be dead...come to the hospital.

No.

Horrible accident....hospital, now.

Not that either.

Maine was in a horrible accident. He might be dead. Can you come to Angel On My Shoulder? Yeah, he came to the hospital I work at. Yeah, I'm fine.

Close enough.

        She looked back down at her phone. Her fingers lingered over each contact. She didn't know who needed to know most. Deciding on Carolina, her fingers tapped the screen.

"Hello?"

South bit back a sob as she prepared to explain the situation.

"South, what's wrong?"

"I need you and the rest of the group to come to Angel On My Shoulder ASAP. Maine was in a horrible accident and he might be dead," she said, voice wobbling slightly.

"What?! You're lying, right? You have to be lying," Carolina shouted into the phone.

"I wish I was," South sobbed, falling back against the wall.

"I'm getting my keys and I'll tell York to close up, okay? Just stay put. Where's North?" the red head said slowly.

"Getting an update on his condition," the blonde hiccuped.

"If you can, call Wash, CT or Della and then Wyoming, okay? Or do you want me to?" 

"I-I-I can do it."

"You don't sound so sure of yourself."

"I've got it! Goodbye, Carolina!"

        South hit the end call button angrily before scrolling to CT's number and repeating the process. CT insisted on calling the others, so she gave up on keeping herself composed to a point where she turned furious at any sympathy. Carolina showed up not too long after CT's call.

"Hey," the red head greeted, sitting across from South on the floor.

"Hey. Sorry I made you leave work," she apologized, staring down at her hands.

"South, I would've gotten on a plane and flown here in a heartbeat. And you know I'm not the biggest fan of flying."

"How long until the others get here?"