Opposite Me

Humming softly, South walked through her kitchen, half-dancing. She knew Maine was coming soon and she'd been trying to tidy up. So far, she'd cleaned up Rho's cage, started dinner without a fire, cleaned most of the rest of her apartment, and she'd cleaned up her own appearance afterward. Now, all that was left was to finish dinner. However, a knock at her door caused her to stop and go to answer it.

She opened it to reveal Maine.

"Hey," she greeted softly, hugging him tightly.

"Hey," he echoed, hugging her back significantly lighter than she had.

"Come on in. I have dinner finishing up," she invited, walking into her kitchen.

"Is it on fire?" he asked, closing the door behind him.

"No. Come on, Maine. Have faith in my cooking abilities, please?" she whined playfully, resting her hands on the counter.

"Maybe. Depends on what you made," he chuckled.

"It came from a freezer bag, so I'm pretty sure I haven't murdered it," she replied, watching him walk closer to her to peer at the oven.

An arm snaked around her waist, causing her to jump to the side slightly.

"Sorry," she apologized, edging back closer to him. "You scared me."

"Looks good. How much longer?" he asked, stifling a laugh.

"Five minutes. And hey, you aren't allowed to laugh," she replied, poking his arm playfully.

        Whirling her around so he wrapped arms around her waist and held her close, Maine stopped South from talking. When he stopped, he bent down to rest his forehead on hers. She blushed and ducked her head away slightly, rather resting on his chest than his forehead.

"You okay?" he asked, letting her do as she wanted.

"Just one of those weeks," she replied.

        He knew not to press her for answers. South was usually chatty and fiery, but around Maine, she got quiet and sweet. No one really knew about this side of her and, secretly, he was happy he had this side of her to himself.

        On the other hand, usually Maine was the quiet one. Around South (and children) he got more and more chatty. South found this to be odd, but she also enjoyed it to herself. So, she kept quiet about it.

"Do you want to talk about it? Or not at all?" he asked, thumbs drawing circles over her hip bones that were barely there.

"Not yet. Maybe after dinner. I need some time to organize my thoughts," she replied, breaking away from him to pull the food out of the oven.

"South, don't bottle things up too much, please," he said softly, watching her dish out the food onto some plates.

"I'm fine, Maine."

"Sadie."

He only used her real name to catch her attention quickly.

"What?" she asked, turning to him.

"Please don't let things get too far again," he said, softening his gaze at her.

Pressing her lips into a thin line, she grabbed the two plates just as her phone lit up with a call from North.

"Magnum, don't worry about me. I'm not fine, but I'll get there soon enough."

___________________________________________________________________________________

(Disclaimer: I do not own the Red VS Blue characters, they are owned by the lovely people at RoosterTeeth :))