Clueless Cats

"Well...I guess I should say welcome."

Wash nervously looked around his apartment while Della stepped inside. She'd agreed to go to his place, which made him sigh with relief. At least something was going okay.

"Uh, anyway! Phi should be around here, somewhere," he continued, shutting the door and walking into his kitchen. "Set your bag down wherever, just make sure that Phi isn't under it."

"Okay."

He flinched. Her voice had gotten ten times quieter ever since she'd heard the news about Charlie. He contemplated calling York about the situation, seeing as he dealt with Carolina's problems pretty well, but Carolina had sent them all a message saying not to contact York because, well, "he wasn't feeling good, don't ask." Which just goes to show that Carolina can't lie very well over text.

"Are you hungry? I know we didn't get to finish lunch," he called, opening his cupboards to look for something to make her.

"No thank you, I'm not hungry."

Okay, so now we've gone back to Crazy-Polite-Business-Della.

"You find Phi?" he tried, seeing if something would spark a conversation or even an argument.

"He's laying on the couch."

Wash walked into the living room to see Phi sprawled out and Della sitting next to him.

"He won't break, you know."

She visibly flinched and hardly shook her head.

There you go again, Washington. Why did you say break?

"Sorry, bad choice of words!" he said quickly, moving to sit on the other side of Phi. "What I meant to say is...uh...you can, you know...play with him, yeah that's what I meant!"

She sighed and leaned back onto the cushions.

"Just...why him? Why, of the hundreds of horses Stonehill owns, did that specific one decide to die? That's what doesn't make sense," she said suddenly, looking at Wash with a confused gaze. "The statistics show that he should've been least likely to have an off the track injury."

He sighed and moved Phi to sit closer to her.

"Statistics are only predictions," he replied. "They can't show you the future, they can only show you what may or may not happen."

"Ignore that," she decided. "I'm more interested in why my life decided to fall apart after college. Care to explain that one?"

He let silence fall while he struggled to find an answer.

"It can only get better," he said simply.

"Better?!" she shouted. "It can only get better?! I want the life I had, not the one I have."

" Look, I know it sucks. But, c'mon, you've got new friends, you've got a great job, you have a Bonsai Tree," he listed calmly.

She didn't reply, instead she pulled her knees into her chest and stayed quiet. Wash kept his gaze on her. Did he make things worse again? Or was she just accepting the fact that things would get better?

"By friends, you mean you and Carolina, by a job, you mean their trying to trade me with a geneticist in New York, and it's a tree, Wash. What am I going to do with a tree?"

"Good point. You need a cat!"

"I do not need a cat."

"I can see it in your apartment now! A little brown and white kitten—"

"I do not need a cat."

"It'd be so cute! You could name it—"

"I do not need a cat."

"Kappa and it could be best friends with Phi—"

"I do not need a cat."

"And it could follow you around and keep you company!"

"I. Do. Not. Need. A. Cat."

"But—"

"No."

"Okay, don't say no, how about maybe?"

"Ugh, fine, maybe."

"Good. I have one at the shelter."

"Wash, no!" she protested. "I don't need a cat."

"It'll keep you company and you can cuddle it and it will be fun and adorable and you need one," he declared.

Della sighed deeply, fluttering her eyes shut.

"What if I said you had to try it for a week and if it didn't work, you can bring it back?" he suggested.

"Fine," she agreed, rubbing her forehead. "I'll take the stupid cat."

"It is not stupid," he corrected. "And you know what else that means?"

"I'm sure you'll tell me."

"We have to go get things for it. And by we, I mean I will do all the buying and you can tag along for choice of colors and so I'm not alone."

"Why?"

"Because you need fun. Besides, don't girls like to shop and stuff?"

Wow, he's really kinda clueless...

__________________________________________________________________

(Disclaimer: I do not own the characters from Red VS Blue, they are owned by the lovely people at RoosterTeeth:))