Give And Take

Click

"Okay, we're in."

"York. It's your apartment. You aren't a secret agent."

"Don't ruin my dreams!"

        Laughing lightly, Carolina rested her head on York's arm. The blanket was still draped over her and he was still carrying her. The car ride had been relaxing; he'd left the radio off and she'd half-fallen asleep on the console. 

        York's apartment was also quiet and it seemed to dull the roar in her head. He even left the lights off while setting her down on the couch. What a gentleman.

"Sit tight. I've got like Advil or something if you want it," he said softly before going off to find the medication.

It seemed like seconds had passed when he returned. 

"Here, take these and here's some water," he said, handing her the two items.

"Thanks," she replied, swallowing them down. "It's not as bad now."

"Are you sure it was just because of the birds and because you hit your head?" he asked, flicking the lamp on at its dimmest setting.

"No," she admitted, averting her gaze.

York sighed deeply.

"What happened?" he asked, sitting on the edge of the couch by her feet.

"Just...got some phone calls...didn't like who it was...didn't like what they had to say...yelling match...birds....end of story," she mumbled, playing with the ends of the blanket.

"Who called you?" he asked, trying to keep his voice soft.

"Someone."

"Yes, Lina. Who?"

"Just someone, York! Drop it! And ow."

"Technically, they hurt you. And I really, really can't stand for that."

"I can manage myself perfectly fine, thank you."

"Yes and that's why I had to carry you here."

"We rode in a car."

"You're missing the point."

"It's hard to miss something that you don't have."

"Like you would know that!"

"I do!"

"Care to explain?!"

"Not really!"

York tossed his hands into the air.

"What more do you want me to do, Carolina?!" he snapped.

        She didn't reply. Her eyes were trained on the floor. He sighed deeply again and shifted closer to her head. She jerked back a little, clearly mad at him. He could only pray that she didn't have the energy to deck him.

"I can't help you at all if you don't tell me what happened, Carolina. I'm not going to judge you or laugh at you, if that's what you're scared of," he said softly, tucking a piece of her hair behind her ear.

She sighed and shut her eyes briefly in thought.

"No, York. I'm not scared of you," she replied, biting her lip.

"Good."

"But you should be scared of me."

___________________________________________________________________________________

(Disclaimer: I do not own the characters from Red VS Blue, they are owned by the lovely people at RoosterTeeth :))