The Thing Of Nightmares

"South, where are you? I need to know exactly where, even if you are in your apartment."

"In my living room on the couch."

"Don't move, okay? Keep talking to me too. I'm heading upstairs now."

"I'm sorry."

"No, don't be sorry. It's okay, just as long as you are still with me."

"What about Della?"

"Don't worry about her. What happened? Who caused you to get upset? Who do I have to hit?"

"I don't wanna talk about it."

"Alright. I'm unlocking your door right now."

The call dropped as the door opened. North dropped his bag on the ground and rushed over to his sister, kneeling in front of her. His heart sank to his stomach. Who in their right mind would hurt South?

"Did Maine do this? Or Meg? Or Free?" North asked.

She nodded.

"They all lied, North," she sobbed, wiping away water as more replaced it.

"What do you mean?" he asked softly.

"Maine lied to me and Meg was spreading rumors and Free believed her and I wanted to cry but I couldn't because I need to hold up this image and I hate Meg," she explained, words running together.

"Meg was mean?" he asked.

"Yes! What did I do to her? Was it because I was snappy?" she cried.

"No. She's in the glory right now because she saved Maine. Anything else?" he asked.

"I wanna go home, North," she sniffled, wrapping her arms around herself. "I'm homesick, I'll admit it. I hate it here."

North sighed and got up, hugging his sister as a fresh wave of tears overcame her.

"This is home," he said softly.

"No," she snapped. "At least, not yet. Home doesn't hurt you."

He shut his eyes in thought.

"South..."

"Don't try to convince me otherwise! You have it so good," she snapped, pushing away from him.

"What? I--"

"Mr. I-Have-The-Perfect-Relationship, Mr. My-Coworkers-Love-Me, Mr. Kill'em-With-Kindness? You have it way better than me! Della can still speak. Maine can't! Your work loves you. Mine hates me. You're called North. I'm South. Bitter. Cold. Heartless. And then there's you. Perfect. Nice. Caring. Everything I'm not," she interrupted, poking his chest with her finger.

"Is that why you're upset too?" he asked calmly.

"Yes! Can't you see it? You're the 'good' twin. You always have been and therefore, I can't change it. I hate it," she shouted.

"I'm sorry," he said softly.

"No, you shouldn't be sorry. It's not something I want you to change about yourself. It's what I wished I could of changed about myself."

"You still can."

"Everyone's made it clear that I can't."

"How so?"

"Newbies get lectured about me before they even have their first emergency. CT introduced me as the spit-fire. Need I go on?"

"Patterns are easy to follow, but hard to change."

"So philosophical, North. Please enlighten me further on how to be a productive member of society."

"Don't say that about yourself."

"So I shouldn't say the truth?"

"How do you know what the truth is when all you do is lie to yourself?!"

North's shout caused South to shift backwards. He didn't usually shout at her; he didn't usually shout at anyone. But she was practically in hysterics, carrying on and on without any sign of letting up. And North needed her to get a better grasp on reality.

"No...I don't--"

"Way to argue for the opposing point, sis," he interrupted. "You do. I hate to break it to you, but you do."

"No," she mumbled, shaking her head.

"Here," he suggested, moving her back onto the couch. "Why don't you rest for a while? I'll be right downstairs and if I leave, I'll leave my phone on. Sound good?"

Nodding, she curled onto her side. North left and silence filled the apartment. She wanted to sleep, but she was scared to close her eyes. She was no stranger to nightmares, despite the fact she'd become one herself.

The Thing Of Nightmares was scared of herself.

__________________________________________________________________

(Disclaimer: I do not own the characters from Red VS Blue, they are owned by the lovely people at RoosterTeeth :))