Leave The Past In The Past

"That wasn't so bad."

Carolina opened her eyes and let her gaze flicker over to York.

"What wasn't?" she asked, confused.

"The panic attack."

She frowned and rolled closer to him.

"Okay? Why?" she asked, confused.

"Why wasn't it so bad?" he asked in confirmation.

"Yeah."

"Because you were here and you didn't make it worse like some."

She lightly traced a pattern on his chest.

"Who?" she asked. "Who made it worse?"

"My college friends. They were there when she..."

Carolina stayed quiet and kept drawing the pattern on his chest while it rose and fell. He kept breathing deeply, knowing that he needed to try and continue to stay calm. Luckily, she kept quiet until she noticed his breathing returned to normal, even breaths.

"Now what?" she asked, breaking the silence.

"In general or...?"

"What do we do about...her?"

"Well...I say we leave her alone."

"What?"

"Leave her alone and she'll get her karma eventually. Church won't propose to her without your approval so you're still in the clear."

"But she made you like this."

"And it still haunts me as you have seen. But I don't let the idea of her affect me too much. Sure, right now, she still causes my face to hurt and thinking about the event causes me to panic, but other than that, I've kinda forgiven her. She didn't mean to shoot me. She was aiming for the bottle that flew in front of me."

"So what do I do?"

"You need to let things go sometimes, Carolina."

"I'm not letting Allison go."

"I didn't say for you to let—"

"I'm not letting her replace Mom."

"She's not going to replace your mom right now—"

"I'm not letting her take place of my mommy."

York paused and half sat up, sympathetic look on his face when he looked at Carolina. Even though she was 24 and had a stable adult life (for the most part), he saw the little girl who'd had her mother ripped from her. She was homesick, but for another home, a home where her mother was alive and her father was happy and when she was happy. But no. She'd been told to grow up too quickly and now, here she was, a stone-cold girl who'd been told to neglect her feelings and to move on. Now York needed to help her. How would they ever have an actual relationship when she was stuck in the past? After all, he wanted to marry her someday.

Wait, what just went through his head?!

__________________________________________________________________

(Disclaimer: I do not own the characters from Red VS Blue, they are owned by the lovely people at RoosterTeeth:))