This Means War

"Lina, hey can you hand me that weight?"

....

"I SAID HAND IT, NOT THROW IT!"

        York watched Carolina roll her eyes and walk off. She'd thrown the five pound weight like a frisbee and he had narrowly escaped its contact. He spotted a few clients stilfing a laugh as he glared at them. Frustrated, he flopped on his back.

"Mr. Yukon? Are you okay?" 

Blinking his eyes open, he saw Kai hovering over him.

"I'm fine, Kai. Just...I screwed up and now it's coming back to bite me," he said tiredly.

"With Carolina?" she asked, sitting next to him.

"Yeah. I tried to make her jealous by flirting with this hot geneticist chick, but I just scared the both of them off. Lina's mad and the other girl's with my best friend. I lost," he explained, sitting up.

"Did you try to talk to her?" she asked.

"Which one?"

"The 'hot geneticist chick'."

"No. She's kind of...wary of me right now. North's got it under control. What do I do about Carolina?"

"Haven't you noticed lately?"

"No? What happened?"

"I don't know. She's just...been more on edge lately. I think something's bothering her."

"She won't talk to me."

"Then you'll have to wait until she breaks. She's stubborn, but eventually she'll give. And you cannot screw that up."

"I won't. But I really wish she'd just give already."

"You literally flirt with every girl you see. You're not in the clear in this one. She's in the clear."

"That's not fair. I--"

"You basically said she was worthless to you. That your relationship, whatever it was or is, meant nothing."

"No I--"

"You did! You could've shut your mouth, you could've turned the other way, you could've just been friends with the other girl, you could've done a lot of things. But, no, ego triumphs, huh?"

York went silent, staring at the floor.

"And now you get quiet because you know I'm right."

        Kai's words rang true in his head. He knew it'd been his fault. He didn't want to admit it, but it was his fault, not Carolina's. Him and his stupid ego had screwed it up again. And now, he sat in the gym, listening to someone tell him the truth. It stung, no doubt, but hearing it brought new light to the whole Carolina situation. Wait for her to give and then don't screw it up.

"You're right," he said quietly, avoiding her gaze.

"And do not talk about fairness with me. All's fair in--"

"Love and war," he finished. "And I'm starting to think it's war."

___________________________________________________________________________________

(Disclaimer: I do not own the characters from Red VS Blue, they are owned by the lovely people at RoosterTeeth :))