Smiles In The Silence

"DID YOU MURDER SOMEONE?!"

"No, York I did not murder someone."

"DID YOU ROB A STORE? COMMIT A CRIME AT ALL? I'M TOO YOUNG TO BE ASSOCIATED WITH A CRIMINAL!"

"YORK, SHUT UP FOR ABOUT TWO SECONDS! And ow, ow, ow, stop, please."

        Carolina grabbed her head again, trying to soothe the pounding in her head. York winced as he walked back over to her. Everything he'd tried to do only made things worse for her. Except the meds. That had gone okay.

"I'm sorry! Lay down, here," he suggested, grabbing a pillow and situating it under her head.

"I just..ow...said that because I wasn't thinking," she mumbled sleepily.

"What did you mean?" he asked, brushing her hair out of her face.

"Just...with the stuff that happened...you know, yelling match and stuff....it's not happy and I don't want it to drag you down because, to be honest, it's scary stuff, York. Terrifying, even, to some. So yeah, you should be scared of me. Because I'm scared of me. People are scared of me," she explained, speech slurred slightly from the medication's effects.

"I'm not scared of you, Lina. Yes, sometimes you try to hit me and kick me and slap me and cause me other bodily harm, but that's my fault. Your past doesn't define you, no matter what happened. Unless you killed someone," he replied, fingers lacing between hers.

"I didn't kill anyone, York," she assured, smiling softly.

"Good. You're too pretty to be in jail," he teased, rolling not-so-gracefully into the space beside her.

"Mmhmm. I'm cold," she mumbled, curling into him like a cat.

"C'mere," he chuckled, pulling her into his chest and making the blanket go over her shoulders.

        Silence fell, minus the sounds of the pair breathing. Carolina fell asleep soon after, fingers tangled in his t-shirt and the blankets. York had to smile. He loved peaceful Carolina, even though he hardly saw her.

"Night Lina," he mumbled, pressing his lips to the top of her head as he felt himself drifting off to sleep.

        He fell asleep soon after. He'd thought that Carolina wasn't awake when he pulled the daring move. However, a smile had formed on the red-head's lips before she'd drifted off again. And for once, things were peaceful.

But neither knew how long it would last.

___________________________________________________________________________________

(Disclaimer: I do not own the characters from Red VS Blue, they are owned by the lovely people at RoosterTeeth :))