Chapter 5: Before the Auction

It's been roughly about three weeks and it's now the 29th of August. All five of us who applied, obtained the items we needed and were hired. The head bodyguard congratulated us and introduced himself as Dalzollene.

"Your mission is to safely escort the boss to the Yorknew City hotel room. A private airship will take you all to Lengal; an airport outside of Yorknew. From the airport, it takes 90 minutes to get to the hotel. A car will be waiting for you. The five of you are assigned to be the outer ring of security. Any questions?", said Dalzollene.

"Do you know anyone who might be targeting the boss?", asked Kurapika.

"That question's not deserving of an answer", Dalzollene answered.

"What do you mean?", Kurapika asked.

"The boss is a VIP in the underworld. There are plenty who hold a grudge-", Dalzollene answered before he was cut off.

"Since you didn't understand, I'll rephrase. Grudges aside, can you think of anyone who might actually commit to an attack? Anyone at all?", he asked as he smacked his right hand onto the table, which displayed the map for our mission plan. "If we can identify the candidates, and their styles and motives, we can prepare. This can help us ensure the boss' protection".

"Kurapika, is it? You're the one who doesn't understand. Our job is to protect the boss no matter who, when, where or how they attack. That's all you need to know, got it? So don't bother building up a mental profile. Anyone who approaches is an enemy", Dalzollene explained.

The room then went silent. Before I could say anything, Dalzollene said, "It's time to meet the boss. Come on".

We all walked down a large hallway through the mansion to get to the boss. Then, we all finally stopped in front of two large doors as he knocks.

"Boss, I brought in the new bodyguards", he said.

A woman wearing a kimono opened the door and responded, "Come in".

We walked down the hall and see a girl around my age sitting on the bed.

"This is the boss, Miss Neon", said Dalzollene. The five of us gasped in shock. I never expected my boss to be another girl around my age.

"New hires. It's nice to meet you! You girl, with the (h/c) hair. How old are you?", Neon asked.

"What? I'm eighteen, why do you ask?", I answered.

"Oh yay! I'm seventeen myself. Even though you're supposed to be my bodyguard, is it ok if we become friends? I've never had any of my own before. Also I do wish to speak with you privately, (Y/N) (L/N), was it?", she asked.

"Um, yes that's me, and sure I don't really mind", I replied.

"Ok cool! You guys can leave now I have some business I'd like to speak about with (Y/N)", she said. Everyone else in the room walked out.

Our conversation didn't last very long. She just wanted to talk to me about my current parents and her experiences she had with them when she was younger. We boarded the airship together as we started talking about different fashion styles we liked. I was happy that my boss was just a friendly girl. The conversation was casual and I felt comfortable.

 The conversation was casual and I felt comfortable