Chapter 53: A Mother and Her Daughter

With my throbbing ankle, I managed to limp inside of the hospital with Maxine holding my hand. Throughout the ride here, I got a bit caught up on the news within the Hunter Association. The election held to replace Netero's position as the 13th Chairmen seemed.. interesting to say at the least. Leorio as of now seemed to be within the top four candidates.

As impressive as that is, I further learned on that he had punched Ging right in the face! From the context I've heard, it seemed like he deserved it. After checking the Hunter's Website for more election information, I had surprisingly made it through the first couple of rounds of votes. I found that to be extremely shocking. I haven't participated at all through this election yet.

I had limped over to Pa's room. Even from the hall, I was happy to hear him laughing with Ma.

After knocking on the door that was slightly open, I met with them once again.

"Hi, we're here", I greeted.

Once I brought Maxine inside the room, their eyes had widened.

"You did it", Ma replied with a small smile forming on her face.

"Um.. (Y/N)? As happy as I am for you. your ankle looks like it's not in great shape", Pa had mentioned.

After glancing at it once more.. it had gotten bad.

"Take the bed, I'm getting discharged today regardless", he further claimed.

Ma had assisted me to the bed as the pain kept creeping up on me. Max never wanted to leave my side, which was great because I never wanted to leave hers. She's still quiet, but at least I felt like there wasn't much to worry about at the moment.

What I had thought was a sprain actually ended up being a minor fracture in some bone. The doctors slapped one of the bulky boots on me, handed me some crutches and I was free to go afterwards.

"Any news on Gon?", I asked.

"No, nothing's changed", Pa replied.

"Where's Killua?", Ma asked.

"He should be here soon, or possibly here already. I'll head over to Gon's room and check", I replied.

"Alright, but stay off that ankle", Ma replied.

"That's what these are for", I chuckled as I grabbed the crutches.

~

We entered the painfully silent, dark room. Killua wasn't here yet, so I figured he was still on the way here. He better be ok..

The two of us sat on a bench and just waited in silence for the next couple of minutes until she struck up a conversation.

"How.. how did you know that song before?", she asked as she looked up at me.

"Well, I made that song. I used to sing it to you every night when you were a baby", I replied back with a soft smile.

"When I was.. a baby?", she questioned.

"Mhm", I replied with the same smile.

She stood on top of the bench so our eyes were at the same level. Then, she touched my face as her palms held my cheeks.

I couldn't help but let my eyes water up a bit.

"Are you crying?", she asked.

Slience ensued again. Everything felt so.. surreal. I didn't expect the reality of this situation to hit me so hard, but it did. That soft, "You did it", from Ma had finally finished processing through my mind. She was actually here. We were actually here together.

"Max..".

"Yes?".

She hadn't let go yet.

"Do you know?", I asked.

"Why you're crying?", she further questioned.

"No, not that", I answered with a small laugh.

I held her wrists and brought them down before I told her the truth.. or I guess part of it at least. Before I did, I was examining her covered hands with those small, unusual gloves.

"Maxine.. I'm your mom".

Her eyes had widened.

"And I guess you could say I'm about to cry happy tears. All because I'm a mom who's happy to be with her kid again", I further explained.

She didn't necessarily reply with anything verbally, but she did give me a smile.

That was enough to relieve me.

Word Count: 693 Words.

A/N: a mini chapter was given. OK NOW PREPARE FOR OTHER THINGS 😜

Published: 4/8/23
Edited: 4/8/23