Chapter 46: Kalluto & Maxine

Fast forwarding a couple of weeks to late May, things went to normal. "Normal" as in Carol and River's daily checks with Carol's mirrors and the Nostrade employees' typical work. And for Kurapika, he's been even more busy with his duties as head bodyguard, along with his own trips to gain more of the eyes. Because of this, the couple didn't have as much time for each other compared to before..

~

Deep inside one of the many forests within Greed Island, were the game's two youngest players in it's history as of now. Kalluto Zoldyck and Maxine (L/N). The two children were wearing their usual pink and purple kimonos, which shared the same floral pattern. They were just getting settled in for the night inside of a small cave, sheltering from an upcoming storm.

"Luto!", Max yelled.

"Sorry.. what's the matter?", he questioned her.

"Nothing, you're just being weird again", she replied.

"Weird?", he replied confused.

"Yeah.. what's with you?", she questioned.

"Just thinking", he replied.

"About.. this?", she questioned as she raised her hands by her face, presenting the oddly-styled gloves.

"Partially", he responded.

"Hm?", she replied as she lowered her hands.

"You see, your power seems to remind me of something similar", he explained.

"Similar?", she asked with her eyes slightly widen.

"Yes, believe it or not. I happen to know someone who's ability feels.. somewhat connected to yours", he explained further.

"Connected?", she questioned.

"Or I suppose it's like.. they give off a similar energy? Almost like they're from the same source, though it's hard to tell since I haven't seen them in years", he answered.

"Do you know where they are now?", she asked.

"Technically, I do.. but I can't contact them, or at least not yet", he replied.

"Oh..", she only replied with.

"Does the name 'Nanika' sound familiar? Familiar at all?", he asked.

She only slightly shook her head, indicating she doesn't know that name.

"Well, it was worth a shot", Kalluto replied after a brief sigh.

Kalluto couldn't help but feel pity for the girl. Not only did she know little to nothing about her power, but she had no one to guide her. Not a single person that she knew would be able to help her. The Troupe knows nothing about it, and they haven't tried to figure it out themselves either. The only information they knew about her came from Pakunoda, who used her nen ability to look into her hazy memories. But even knowing little to nothing, something she told them was worth keeping her within the Troupe's hands.

Even so, the Troupe is supposed to be her 'family', yet she never had a bond that was close enough to that feeling. Yet again, she didn't know how that bond was supposed to feel like. She didn't know how a typical four-year-old's life was supposed be like. She'd never even feel like a human most of the time. She was more like a tool in the Troupe's eyes.

Though Kalluto was a newer addition to the Troupe, she was most fond of him. This is likely because he's also a child himself. A child who himself, was also forced to grow up.