Chapter 42: Leorio's Birthday

"Please don't make either of us regret this..", Kurapika explained with a sigh, directed towards Leorio.

"Oh c'mon Kurapika! If anything, the two of you need this more than I do", Leorio replied to him.

After a simple, calm dinner across the street, Kurapika and (Y/N) had agreed one taking him to the nightclub nearby. While talking with him on the phone a few days ago, they figured he could use it, considering that he had just finished a big exam. This was just an ordinary nightclub, with dancing and drinks.

"I wouldn't exactly say that", Kurapika responded back with.

"Well regardless, I promise you won't regret your decision. This place is always hits the spot. It's basically just a big party!", Leorio replied back.

Immediately after, Leorio went to the bar on his own.

"Ha! That was fast", (Y/N) chuckled.

"Why didn't we just go bowling..?", Kurapika sighed.

"He'll have more fun here. Plus, we can always save that for another day with the boys", she explained with a smile.

"Hey, are you going to be ok tonight?", he asked.

"Yeah? Why do you ask?", she asked in slight confusion.

"You know.. with all of the--".

"OH.. Yeah, don't worry about all of the alcohol. I think this place seems a bit too formal for beer anyways. Even so, it's not like he's alive or anything to do something again", she explained.

"Well true.. but still, if you become uneasy, let me know", he instructed.

"Ok, but like I said, I'll be fine. Let's just have fun with Leorio tonight.. and supervise him", she replied looking over towards him.

"Alright. Better safe than sorry", he replied back.

~ (Y/N)'s POV ~

A part of me felt slightly underdressed, compared to the other girls here at least. Yet again, I was comfortable with a turtleneck and docs. We sat besides Leorio at the bar, and he'd just received a shot of tequila from the bartender. The two were mainly talking about their experiences taking the hunter exam, cracking a joke here and there. I knew certain parts and details from Gon and Kurapika before, but there's always something new to learn each time.

"When did you take the exam (Y/N)?", Leorio asked.

"I was sixteen. I participated and passed the 286th official exam", I replied.

"So, you've technically been a hunter longer than us. How was your exam?", he asked.

"What do you mean?", I questioned back.

"What kind of phases did you have to complete? Was it any different from our exam?", he asked.

"Not really to be completely honest. There were different locations, but it was pretty much the same concept. The only major difference was that I was the only one who passed that year--".

"You were the only one?!", the two replied in unison.

"Mhm, but there were only about 250 examinees originally. And to be completely honest, it was pretty boring. Yeah sure, the hunter exam was difficult itself. But even so, it wasn't a very memorable experience than I anticipated it was going to be. Your experience the year after sounds so much better compared to mine", I explained, resting my head on my hand.