Chapter 23: Midnight Hangout

"Hey Kurapika! (Y/N)! Mr. Nostrade want us to meet with at the entrance!", Basho yelled from a distance.

"We're coming!", I yelled back.

"Sorry Pika, we'll have to continue later. Are you alright?", I asked him.

"No need to apologize, I'll be ok", he replied with a soft look in his eyes.

Smiling back, I grabbed his hand and lead both of us to the entrance of the mansion. On the way, we encountered the woman I saw before, who was one of the new hires. She walked with us giving Kurapika a weird look.

"So.. I'm assuming you did it?", she questioned as she pointed to our hands.

"I did. (Y/N), this is Ms. Mayumi", Kurapika said.

"Oh- Hello", I waved to her.

"Hello (Y/N), you look stunning tonight", she replied, waving back with a smile.

"Thank you Ms-"

"Mayumi alone is just fine. I'm not too big with formalites", she cut me off with.

"So did you take a while because you were talking to her?", I asked Kurapika.

"No, our conversation didn't take long but her words just stuck in me for a while", he replied with a nervous chuckle.

"I just didn't want you guys to do what I did. Both my girlfriend and I liked each other for five years before we started dating, and it was her who made the move. My biggest regret was basically being a coward about it", Mayumi explained as she scratched her neck.

How do I even see myself in five years? Hopefully, I'd be with Maxine by then, but what would I be doing? What would Kurapika even be doing?

The three of us arrived to our meeting point and were told the following by Light, "Ok, now that everyone is here I'll be making a quick announcement to all of you. I know the preparations for ball and the other work I assigned was quite a load over the week. All of you will be given the weekend off, and will resume back to normal work on Monday. You are dismissed".

Some of the new hires wandered off in the mansion and then Neon started walking towards me.

"(Y/N)! We're all kind of hungry, so we're going to eat some of the leftover food and hangout. Do you two want to join us?", she asked.

"That sounds fun, I'll go", I reply.

"Same here, I won't need to wake up early tomorrow anyways so I don't see why not", Kurapika replied, smiling directly towards me.

"Awesome! Let's head back to the ballroom", Neon explained.

A total of nine of us made our way back to the ballroom. Seeing the entire room empty, made it look even bigger than before. All of the decorations were still intact, but the tables were a complete mess. We all decided to eat on the stage, where the orchestra was playing earlier. It was pretty high up, which allowed each of to dangle our legs from above. Melody, Basho and another brought a bunch of leftover desserts and we all shared them.

We all sat in a circle, and played multiple rounds of Uno and other different card games. Two of the new hires who had joined us, left the group early but the rest of us continued to hang out on the stage. We ended our game and Neon celebrated her victory.

She then pauses, and proceeds to look at me and ask, "Hey (Y/N), what did Kurapika need you for in the garden earlier?".

"What? Why do you ask?", I replied in shock.

"The thought just popped in to my head and I couldn't just not ask you", she replied.

"It wasn't anything important", Kurapika tried to brush off.