Chapter 6: The Beginning of the Auction

Tonight is the first night of the ten day auction. Dalzollene had informed us that at 9 o'clock, the Mummy of Princess Corco was being auctioned off tonight. He assigned Baise, Tocino and another bodyguard named Ivlenkov to be responsible for the bidding. Another bodyguard named Linssen and Basho were covering the rear entrance. Kurapika, Melody and I we're covering the front entrance. Squala and Dalzollene were in charge of Neon. I believe meeting up with Gon and Killua will have to wait for a bit. I haven't gotten a word from them.

Kurapika, Melody and I were waiting at our post. Melody and I checked to make sure it was clear and Kurapika called Dalzollene to inform him that we're all good.

"They're being quite thorough with this aren't they? No one is allowed 500 meters of the auction house, except for approved mafia security personnel", Melody explained.

"Well if they didn't do that, the perimeter would be crawling with thugs; which would practically be an announcement that sinister deeds are taking place", replied Kurapika.

"I guess it makes sense", I said.

"Guess so", said Melody.

It went quiet again. Will the Phantom Troupe really show up tonight? I feel like I'm not prepared enough for this. Melody let a out a small gasp.

"That's the same sound I'm hearing from earlier".

"What?", Kurapika replied.

"Just so you know, I happened to see you as you were leaving the hunter agency. You walked passed me. Your heart played a melody of wrath".

"You've seen him before the interview?", I asked.

"I have. Mind if I ask you a question Kurapika?", asked Melody.

"Go ahead", he replied.

"Scarlet Eyes", she said.

Both Kurapika and I let out a small gasp. I looked over to him, and I could tell those two words she had just said left him speechless. I knew it wasn't the easiest thing for him to talk about.

"Exactly. From (Y/N)'s heartbeat, I assume she knows. What do they mean to you?", she asked.

I looked over to him and then just stared at the floor. I didn't dare to utter a word.

"Why do you ask?", the boy replied.

"There's no reason in particular. Just curious. When you saw the image of them on the data card, your heartbeat was even more fearsome than it was then. It played a melody of boundless fury", she said.

"Although, I'm sure there was a good reason you opened up to (Y/N) earlier. She had a similar fury, however it wasn't as fearsome at all. It was more of a sad melody, as she had been bottling up her emotions. From the way she was acting back at the interview, I could tell she's been doing that for years".

It went silent again. She wasn't exactly wrong, but I still didn't want to admit it. Kurapika then sighed and explained everything he told me to her, excluding anything about the Spiders. Apparently, he had also been wearing black eye contact lenses to hide his eyes. Luckily, she isn't going to tell Dalzollene about that, but only because he would probably kill her if she did.

"A heartbeat's always honest", she replied.

"When you first starting confessing to me and told me your true nature, your heartbeat was as calm as it was icy. The heartbeat of one who is prepared, to kill if need be. Your heart says that you hold no grudges, but that I was fair game if I talked".

"Why did you take this job?", Kurapika asked her.

"Why would you ask? You know that I would probably lie to you", she replied.