Chapter 8: Battle with the Bandit

"I got a question you two", said the Spider as he kept drinking his beer. "Who the hell are you? My only intention is to fight the chain user. Why is the girl here?".

"Why do you have Maxine?", I asked.

"Ah, you mean the toddler? No one wanted her after the incident. She was born with such freakish ability. However, the boss said if we take her in, we can use her as a new weapon", the Spider replied.

"What incident? And what ability does she have? I took care of her from the moment she was born and up until she was one! She was a normal child!", I yelled.

"I'm guessing you were her mother. I've heard a little bit about your unfortunate past", he replied. "If anything, you should be grateful the boss decided to take her in when no one else would. She would've been dead if we haven't, and now she's training with the Troupe and will become our most powerful weapon yet".

"WHAT?!", I shouted. I was so lost from processing all of this. What happened?

"You on the other hand, aren't normal and you've got extraordinary determination in nen", he explains looking over to Kurapika.

"Before I answer your question, there's something I need you to tell me", he says as he throws up his tabard into the air, only to reveal his white linen clothing underneath. "Do you remember those you've killed? Any of them?".

"Yeah, some of them. But most of them were only the ones who made a lasting impression on me. Is this some kind of vendetta? Who are you trying to avenge?", asked the Spider.

"The Kurta Clan", Kurapika answers.

"Never heard of them", replied the Spider.

"The Lukso province. A small clan with scarlet-colored eyes. And five years ago, you attacked us", Kurapika said.

"Scarlet eyes? Is that a jewel or something? Yeah sorry, that doesn't ring a bell. But I was definitely a member five years ago. I know that much", replied the Spider.

Kurapika then starts to walk towards him. "When you kill people, people who have done no wrong in any way.. how do you feel?", he asks. "What goes through your mind?".

"Nothing, really. Not a thing", the Spider answered.

"You're scum. For your sins, you'll pay with your life!", Kurapika yelled.

Aura emerged from them both. I later emerged mine and walk up to Kurapika. I take off my flannel and threw it to the side. The next thing you know, the Spider punched the ground with his nen, and the ground was exploding and crumbling in front of us. Kurapika then grabbed my hand and we both jumped high into the air, avoiding all of the rocks.

He aims his nen infused chain to the Spider, but he only continues to dodge them. It felt like we were in the air for such a long time, and he was still holding onto my hand real tight. We landed on top of a cliff, and then jump back down onto ground again to avoid another attack.

I am well aware firearms have no effect on him, however if I infused the bullets with a hell load of nen, it should have some kind of damage. I only had a total of twelve bullets. Each of my pistols carried only six bullets at time. I had to be resourceful with them. I also had my Slow Poke ability as well, but I would need to look at him directly in the eye.

The Spider then came charging towards us. Before I could do anything, Kurapika ran forward and blocked a punch using is left arm.

"KURAPIKA!", I screamed. I knew that punch would've completely destroyed his arm. I jumped in to the air as I was able to hide myself with all of the sand and dirt.