Chapter 34: Nancy Greene - Scarlet Bound • II

It didn't take very long to get to the top of hill, and I didn't realize how much larger the Nutlocke Manor was up close. The bus pulled up by the entrance of the estate and then each of us eventually exited the bus. Minus the bus driver, there was a total of seven of us inside that bus.

We lined up to be greeted by a middle-aged woman named Janine, then she led us to a room in order to distribute and change into our uniforms. She assigned the other girls to different rooms with their tasks already.

"And lastly, you. Name?", Janine asked as I walked up towards her.

"Oh, um, Nancy", I quickly replied in a panic. It rhymed with fancy, which described the vase within my field of vision.

"Surname?".

"Greene", I replied after noticing the green wallpaper inside the room.

"Well ok Miss Greene, you'll be the one assisting Mrs. Nutlocke with the preparations for tonight's show. Head upstairs and make a right. It's the last door in the middle of that hallway", she instructed.

"Yes ma'am", I replied along with a slight bow.

Once I finished helping Mrs. Nutlocke, I can probably sneak away during the show to search the mansion. The hallway is pretty big, but it's not any different compared to the Nostrade's. I reached the end of the hallway, then knocked on the door.

"Greetings Mrs. Nutlocke, I'm one of the new maids. Ms. Janine assigned me to assist you in tonight's preparations for the show", I explained.

As I heard the door unlock, I bowed once again for mannerism.

"Nancy Greene at your service-".

Once I looked up, I recognized the woman's face immediately. It was Naomi. She seemed shocked at first, then she opened the door more in order to let me enter the room. After the closed the door behind me, she turned over to me.

"So Nancy.. do you happen to have a twin?", she asked in certain tone along with an unsettling glare.

I knew I was already in some deep shit, but I couldn't just make up a lie right there. She's too smart for that, but how am I supposed to explain myself?

"No..", I replied as I could feel a bead of sweat roll down the side of me head.

"Relax (Y/N), I'm not actually upset with you", she replied with a slight chuckle.

After I took a sigh of relief, she walked towards a small shelf which held a couple of little puppets.

"So what are you doing working here as a maid?", she asked.

"Oh, just a side hustle to make some more cash", I replied anxiously.

"Mhm.. how much cash do you exactly need? You work for the underworld Hon, you make plenty of money there. What are you planning to do with it?", she asked.

"Oh.. well I'm just helping Kurapika with something", I replied.

"Ok, but with what exactly?", she questioned.

"That's probably something that should stay between us. It's too personal for me to say, and really, it's just not my place", I answered.

"Is the ailas necessary as well?", she asked.

"Yes", I replied.

I usually don't like to lie to my friends, but luckily I was able to stretch out the truth and make up a believable lie.

Naomi loved her puppet shows, but she couldn't host them as often as she wanted to, since her husband doesn't allow her to do them so often. Honestly, that's absurd because there isn't any reason for him to reject them. The children and the overall audience love her shows, and she does them all on her own. She's a talented voice actress, and a lot of the puppets are hand-crafted by her.