Chapter 27: The Party • I

~ Wednesday, December 31st, 1:45 pm ~

"Hey!!", I yelled, following with a wave as I was running towards Leorio. Kurapika was slowly catching up towards me.

"Oh hey! You made it!", Leorio replied with a big smile.

"Yeah, I practically forced him to come", I said as I looked towards Kurapika, still catching up to meet with us.

"Did he not want to see me?", Leorio asked.

"There's only so much Leorio a person could stand in a day. Besides, we're already going to see you at the party tonight", Kurapika replied.

Leorio was obviously ticked off from what Kurapika just claimed, not to mention that little smirk coming from his face.

Before he could go off on him, I replied, "Well, let's get our lunch then. That's the reason we came in the first place".

We sat at a tiny booth inside a fairly crowded diner. It was definitely one of the nicer places I've been to yet.

 It was definitely one of the nicer places I've been to yet

^ (for imagery)

"Are you guys even going to party? The reason you guys came here was just to gamble", Leorio explained.

"Who even knows at this point? I'm just trying to keep myself sane", I reply as I lean back and take a sip of my chocolate milkshake.

Kurapika sighs and responds, "She has a point, all of this gambling we have to do can be incredibly draining. The amount of work we end up doing tonight honestly just depends how the party is going to be like".

"Don't you guys take shifts? You're the one in charge of that, aren't you?", Leorio asked Kurapika.

"I am only allowed to do so when the amount we're making is decent enough. Otherwise, I'm not supposed to", Kurapika replied.

"And there's really nothing else you can do?", Leorio asked.

"Nope, unless we resort to criminal activity. If we did, I don't know if I'd be working still", I said.

"Well I know Kurapika could get away with things, but can't you also? Didn't you say that you're from Meteor City?", Leorio asked.

"No, I was dumped there when I was nine, right before all of the foster homes. I spent around two weeks there before I left, but I'm sure I got legal documents of me somewhere", I answered as I placed my milkshake back on the table.

"Oh.. my bad then", Leorio replied.

"Don't worry about that, I even forget the exact timeline every now and then", I try brushing off to avoid the awkwardness.