99: An Unexpected Announcement

"Slytherin!" The sorting hat announced before it even touched Tom's head properly, and a triumphant grin spread across his face.

"Cass, you alright?" Draco whispered to Cassiopeia, who turned to him, nodding. "Take care of yourself."

"Is there anything wrong?" Cassiopeia asked, gazing at Draco's sorrowful expression. "What's bothering you, Draco? You can talk to me."

"I'm ju—"

"Hey, princess," Tom said as he settled down at Cassiopeia's right side, giving a peck on her temple. "So, what's so special that you two have to whisper about when I'm coming?"

Cassiopeia wondered if he had been watching them all the time.

"We were talking about head prefects," she blurted out, smiling. "We were excited to see who will be the head boy and the head girl."

She never liked to discuss what was between her and Draco, especially their fears and such. Those were secrets shared only between them.

As the sorting hat continued to sort the new students into their houses, Cassiopeia noticed Harry glancing in her direction. She gave him a thumbs up and a smile to let him know that she was alright.

"Good evening, students!" Dumbledore addressed the gathering, though his voice sounded somewhat weaker than in previous years. "Before we all tuck into our meals, I would like to make a few announcements."

The Great Hall fell into pin-drop silence as he began.

"Professor Snape will be the next headmaster of Hogwarts," Dumbledore announced, and Cassiopeia's eyes widened as she turned to Draco, who wore a similarly disbelieving expression. "Until a new professor is appointed to teach Defense Against the Dark Arts, Professor Snape will continue to teach the subject."

Whispers filled the Great Hall as the news of Professor Snape's promotion spread. Most students were not fond of him due to his severe demeanor.

"Dumbledore is retiring?" Tom asked, sharing the same surprised expression that Cassiopeia and Draco had.

"No idea," Cassiopeia shrugged, her attention returning to Dumbledore, who was addressing the students once again.

"Attention," Dumbledore said, using his wand to amplify his voice, drawing everyone's attention. "Next, Professor Snape will announce the names of the prefects, including the head boy and head girl for this year."

The Great Hall buzzed with excitement as Snape made his way to the stage, and Dumbledore watched him from the podium.

Snape unrolled a parchment and straightened himself before announcing several names. The sixth-year students were particularly thrilled by the selections.

"'—and lastly, the head boy of Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry is—" Snape paused, scanning the gathering. "—Draco Lucius Malfoy."

"Whoa," Cassiopeia exclaimed, hugging Draco tightly as he received a round of applause and cheers from the Slytherin table. "Congrats, Drakie."

Unable to contain her joy for her cousin, Cassiopeia planted a kiss on his cheek and gave him a thumbs up. "You did it, Draco."

Draco's lips curved into a broad smile, clearly elated by his achievement.

Now, the next question was: who would be the head girl?

"Congrats, mate," Blaise congratulated Draco from across the table. "We should have a party."

"I agree," Cassiopeia chimed in, nudging Draco's shoulder. "At least this time, get enough bottles of firewhisky."

"Noted," Draco rolled his eyes as their conversation was interrupted by the next name Snape called.